Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I think in that episode, he and his right hand man said it would have cost 50K to do all they did.
    hey the reason they called holmes, was they where saving money by hiring there sons buddies, at 10% of what the real cost of the job would be!

I remember watching a episode of Holmes on Homes. The HVAC guys mounted a bypass humidifier on the return drop with the humidistat below the humidifier.

-Mark
    RSES CM Member
    NCI Certified Air Balancer and CO/Combustion Analyst
    NATE Senior technician - Energy efficiency analyst and 7 other NATE Service certifications

Never stop learning!

hgtv is doing their job, cause we all watched. you have to admit, that guys house will be better, i dunno about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by countrykid78 View Post
    I like the show and watch it often. However I always have said, When money is not the issue then of course you can do everything "RIGHT". Why don't they tell how much the job would cost the homeowners if they actually had to pay the bill.
    I don't think that's always the case. Some of it is cutting corners, a LTO of it is just poor workmanship or ignorrance.

I like the fact that at least he's in the right direction. He's recommending proper sizing, proper sealed ducts runs, measuring airflow and balancing the system. He's corrected coutless HWT vent issues.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I don't think that's always the case. Some of it is cutting corners, a LTO of it is just poor workmanship or ignorrance.

I like the fact that at least he's in the right direction. He's recommending proper sizing, proper sealed ducts runs, measuring airflow and balancing the system. He's corrected coutless HWT vent issues.
    I agree with you. But if you or me went out there and told homeowner it will be 50,000 to repair they would tell us no way. When its free because you are on a tv show then hell yes just tear it all out and start over.

He does get a little extreme is his repairs. But it makes for a good show. "Tear it all out!". Some of the places he goes to have some pretty bad issues.

I should show him the elevated deck I have hanging over a bluff behind my house. Its' pretty scary. Nothing like a wobbly deck with severla broken and spongy boards when you've got a 25-35' drop below you. He'd tear that puppy down and start over. I plan on doing that next Spring... but will probably re-use the steel piers and a keep the new one simple. He'd probably repalce it with something 3X the size with 3 levels and a stariway down to the bottom.

I thought of this thread tonight watching Sunday's episode I recorded.

Left picture is the HVAC tech who said he was getting 481 CFMs (which stands for Cubic Feet per Minutes) out of his 2x12 floor register. That's impressive, bet it howled! Guess he can't read where his Testo clearly says FPM. Wonder if he knows the diff?

Right picture is when Mike tested it. Now, he didn't say what he was measuring but was talking about how it increased so much. His meter clearly says velocity on it.

He also talked about how the taping & caulking dropped the temperature by 30%. Gee, if the A/C was one for the first 25.5C reading (78F) then that poor HO has a problem on his hands. Even the 30% that might was crowing about is pathetic. That's 64 supply. Guess we better hope the return air was in the mid 80s! He'd be shocked at what the Tappan puts into my house Even during the heat wave it was usually in the low 50s!

Mike was also complaining about lack of combustion air to the utility room. He was right, the dryer and WH need it. But he also squawked about the furnace needing it. I guess he doesn't know what that 2nd white plastic pipe feeding the furnace is for.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Twilly says the guy grows on you though.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Isn't it the truth? It makes you wanna go out and kick ass. He has a brand. If you watch his credits when the show was over. He has a clothing line as well. Yep, he's expensive and probably better than 50% of the builders and GC's anybody has worked with on here. But it's friggin' reality tv. He's got us talking about him, thereby generating more internet buzz and he's selling more expensive coveralls because of that. The dude that moved in the home was happy as hell. So he did his job.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Just like hemorrhoids.

There's been way to many issues with mike holmes shows, and not just the hvac. I used to like it. Then I actually started paying attention.

Every once in a bit I'll watch the end result for some HOS pictures.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I saw that show the other night. First thought seeing that they were claiming 680 CFM out of that one vent was "that guy is full of sh*t those people are f*cking retards" Then proceeded to say how it would sound like a jet engine if it were operating at such high CFM! just as fabrk8r said.

Now... Did nobody notice that there was what looked like a dryer hose on the water heater flue!!??

Yeah mike is a blowhard sometimes. But he is a good guy and I like the show. He still makes mistakes but we all do. I got irritated when he put Teflon tape on threads for sink connectors. Saying it's better to have the extra sealing. Lol. Threads aren't sealing anything. Oh well. He tries. Lol

He is a carpenter at the end of the day.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

I think Holmes is a great guy, that knows his stuff~~~~for the most part.

But I also think he has a TV show because in the real world, the way he does things, he would be to expensive to hire.

He uses first class material which in the real world I don't think he would use. Standard building material works just fine when installed correctly.

The one thing I don't like is his arrogance. He has the "I know it all" attitude, when clearly he does lacks skill in certain areas.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast