Call this Prepped???

Guy has a condo w a 20 yr old c/u he wants me to install. Refnt lines are roughed in (not capped) no prob putting an evap coil on the furney. Elect is roughed in, but w 12 ga wire. Max fuse size on c/u is 30Amp.

What do I tell him when there's a cpl hundred condos in the complex set up the same way, all w air.

Put in a 30 A breaker, burn the place down. Put in a 20 and watch it trip continiously?

How do you handle this?? If I don't do it somebody else will and I need the work!

Guess I already gotta put a hard start on it, w a new (TXV) coil.. Any other advise??

All i will say is if you going to the job. Make sure you kept your insurance paid and maybe get some more .

Wire size for the condenser unit is rated by min ampicity, not max fuse. If max fuse size is 30, min amp is likely 15-19 and #12 will probably support the current flow. Check your nominclature on the side of the unit, and NEC book for confirmation.
    However, if the unit is for resistive load, I.E. airhandler aux heater, #12 will not work.
    BTW, this is yet another question, I would have posted in the Pro's forum
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

If you do decide to just go with it, make sure you declare the problems on the invoice, your recommendations/code and exactly what work you did. As for the electrical you could run the proper wire to a disconnect and get the electrician to connect his power to the disconnect. It's on him at that point.

Bottom line cover your bases. You may need the work but one bad situation could give you more problems.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Damn, I thought 'was' the Pro Board. LOL Lost again..