goodman reversing valve failure

Trying to nail down if the Goodman GPH15 "M" series reversing valve is on recall. I bought a new unit in July of 2009, by July of 2010 the reversing valve broke, was replaced, broke again in June 2011, replaced and five weeks later it is broke again. A little tiny coil that vibrates loose and I'm told can"t be welded back so the whole reversing valve needs to be replaced each time. In the mean time, I'm sweating it out in 105 degree plus here in Las Vegas. Need help! Retailer went belly up, and manufacturer says the labor part of my 10 year warranty was with them. How can they ask me to pay $$$$ for a part that last 5 weeks??
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 08-16-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Pricing Removed

The reversing valve should be under warranty by Goodman if it's less than 5 years.

I've had to replace 2 of them in the same Goodman unit myself. I didn't charge the customer for the labor because I didn't feel that the customer should have to pay for it when it's less than a year between breakages. But that's just me.

Now, if I didn't do the original installation or previous repair, then I would charge labor. It would be nowhere near what you were quoted though.

BTW, prices aren't allowed.
    This should probably be in the AOP forum. Lucky me...I get to comment!

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy A View Post
    Trying to nail down if the Goodman GPH15 "M" series reversing valve is on recall. I bought a new unit in July of 2009, by July of 2010 the reversing valve broke, was replaced, broke again in June 2011, replaced and five weeks later it is broke again. A little tiny coil that vibrates loose and I'm told can"t be welded back so the whole reversing valve needs to be replaced each time. In the mean time, I'm sweating it out in 105 degree plus here in Las Vegas. Need help! Retailer went belly up, and manufacturer says the labor part of my 10 year warranty was with them. How can they ask me to pay $$$$$ for a part that last 5 weeks??
    question? did you buy this unit yourself?
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 08-16-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Pricing Removed

you can check with the contractors board & may be eligable
    to file for some reimbursment thru the residential recovery fund they have set up. by law there is supposed to be a statement on his invoice
    concerning the resi. recovery act.

Thats the one thing that bugs me about Goodman, well maybe not just one thing... Those damn reversing valves have issues. One out of 15 it seems has a stuck valve fresh from the factory.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    Thats the one thing that bugs me about Goodman, well maybe not just one thing... Those damn reversing valves have issues. One out of 15 it seems has a stuck valve fresh from the factory.
    what co. makes those valves?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy A View Post
    ....I bought a new unit in July of 2009, by July of 2010 the reversing valve broke, was replaced, broke again in June 2011, replaced and five weeks later it is broke again. A little tiny coil that vibrates loose and I'm told can"t be welded back so the whole reversing valve needs to be replaced each time....
    The valve is breaking due to metal fatigue that occurs when vibration is excessive. Think of breaking a paper clip by bending it back and forth. This is the underlying cause of the failure. Most manufacturer's use the same reversing valve that you have in your Goodman unit. Goodman's design may not deal properly with normal vibration or you have excessive vibration that could be caused by the compressor or the outdoor fan or both. The valve is probably made by Ranco.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/