+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Job search fail, going back to school

Post Likes

Job search fail, going back to school

Hey, I'm from Toronto i have my gas fitter 2 and was unable to find a job. I have decided to go back to college but I'm not sure what to take. Should i take a business course of some type or something involving hvac?

Post Likes
    Dude try kijiji......im in stratford ontario which is like an hour and a half from toronto. Just the other day i saw like 20 adds looking for a g2 to start. I finished college with my g2 on april 20th and didnt find a job until 2 weeks ago. A buddy of mine from school was looking in the GTA and said hed had over 50 call backs and now works for enbridge. If HVAC is what you wanna do man dont give up the jobs are out there you just have to keep on it. Id only give up after i had been to every employer withing an hour drive of my house twice. Idk where you are in toronto but i find it hard to belive you havent even heard something.
    Keep trying man.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice. The thing is most of them want experience of like 3 years, all i have is 3 months. But i guess i could look just send them my resume and hope for the best.

Post Likes
    3 months is better then nothing. And i had zero just school. Im starting out doing gas work and helping a sheet metal guy but atleast its a start. Not many places will just sign u up right out of the gate alot of the time they take co op students out of highschool test em out for 4 months then hire em...or the same with us take a gas tech 2 on see if hes any good or not. The trade seems to be once you get some experience the work is out there. Ya man send in your resume the worst thing your gonna get is a no. And i found always do it in person, have you even considered posting an add on kijiji that your g2 and so on looking for work. I did that got a couple phone calls but nothing i wanted it may be worth it for you being in the GTA tho. You just have to be persistant seeing right now g2s are a dime a dozen because of second career and the downturn in the economy.

Post Likes

we are having the same problem in vancouver

Vancouver is pretty tough market to break into.

I have a mechanical background in automotive, 2 years electronics collage from years ago, physics class last year, and jarts pre-apprentice this year. Passed my Transportation of dangerous goods and HRAI ozone depletion card.

Everyone I call its always "we are not hiring". We have also had a cold summer which does not help. There is a restaurant attendance by patrons which undercuts the restaurants bottom end and I imagine, makes it more difficult to pay the refrigeration companies for there work.

I do not want to waste any more of my money on a Gas Fitters license if I know it will not result in any interviews that can lead to a position in the company.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in