Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster removal

Check out that huge old Willie. 2 of everything in 1 cabinet. 2nd 1/2 of the furnace held off by outdoor stat til it gets cold. Old was 250K input, new is 125K!

Oh wow.. That's HUGE! I never seen thse in person. Just saw it in my Dad's old sales book.

Was this the gas saver model?

How large was this home?? or bussiness?

Could you get that beast out in one piece or was it a cut and gut???

Ohhhhh, it don't look that big... And I can say that since I didn't have to help carry it out lol

my back hurts just looking at it.

they must have built the house around that beast.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Yep, that's a tank alright, I've had my fair share of removing those bastards, still plenty of them in operation though...

Hey Bald, any pics of the heat exchanger on that thing? Just want to see how it compares to the one I just killed myself on getting it up the stairs.

i would think your wife would pack your lunch in something other than a mickey mouse lunch sack for pete sake!!...yeah, you TRIED to hide it in the first pic, but we all know......

No shots of the heat exchangers. But they looked as clean and solid as the day they were made.

May, it was a Gasaver. Older home, boss thinks he sold it 30 years ago. Back then the mentality was bigger is better obviously!

Why use radius heel elbows ?

Better air flow, less restriction, hopefully less turbulance thus a better straighter line through the filter causing better filtration.

Oh, and they look cool too :-)

Radius heel elbows at the equipment on the return side do absoluteley nothing for airflow. Equivalent length is exactly the same as a square throat / square heel combo. H/W=1 then that is 45 feet of duct. H/W=2 then that is 30 feet of duct. H= opening at furnace, W= narrow width of drop.

Radius throat ells show little benefit until the throat is 1/2 the diameter of the drop (H/W).

Correctly installed turning vanes are equivalent to 10 feet of duct- same as a radius ratio of 1:1.

Reference velocity of 700 fpm @ .08" WG per 100' of duct. ACCA Manual D page A3-14.

Might as well use square throat / square heel. Cheaper and faster to make than a radius heel.

Or do it right with turning vanes.

You will find that the bottom 1/3 of the filter will get loaded faster on a sysyem without vanes or the proper radius throat because all the air is going there. Filter restriction ratings are based on using the whole filter, not just part of it.

Nice install otherwise.

[Edited by neophytes serendipity on 11-25-2005 at 09:19 AM]
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Baldo, Glad to see that someone still knows how to do a PROFESSIONAL job. Those cheep shots about your ductwork, pay them no attention. Some people think that units installed with flat metal and screws are fine. Keep up the good "OLD SCHOOL" sheetmetal work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast