Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I personally would rather rebuild a gear machine anyday. All a Trane is, is alot of work. Too much heavy lifting and no thinking, except the thinking if your rigging will hold all of that iron. It also takes alot longer to rebuild. I can rebuild a York and a Carrier in 2 days, compared to at least 3 to 4 days for a Trane. Thats only if you have room overhead; get ready for a marathon in low clearance situations. ( I am just speaking of the compressor rebuild part) Lets not even talk about if you lose a motor. Replace just the motor on the York and Carrier, pull the entire compressor for the Trane. Remember, Its hard to stop a Trane; unless you send it cold condenser water, then it will derail on oil loss!

Looks like a copy of the D series. I thought that China was the only ones to reverse engineer. Just kidding.

there is an easy way to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by spinning wheel View Post
    I personally would rather rebuild a gear machine anyday. All a Trane is, is alot of work. Too much heavy lifting and no thinking, except the thinking if your rigging will hold all of that iron. It also takes alot longer to rebuild. I can rebuild a York and a Carrier in 2 days, compared to at least 3 to 4 days for a Trane. Thats only if you have room overhead; get ready for a marathon in low clearance situations. ( I am just speaking of the compressor rebuild part) Lets not even talk about if you lose a motor. Replace just the motor on the York and Carrier, pull the entire compressor for the Trane. Remember, Its hard to stop a Trane; unless you send it cold condenser water, then it will derail on oil loss!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    there is an easy way to do it!
    That's called working smarter not harder.... Works well as long as you dowel the compressor foot and discharge flange first or else you are going to have fun when it comes to the suction ell.
    Necessity is the mother of invention

Like I said, most of the time. Not every room has a forklift or the clearance. I would bet that this is the only one like this that you work on. Now lets compare the real machine rooms, with two feet over head and six feet between the chiller next to it. Then lets see you love on that big girl. Try a gear machine once, you'll like it.

I do like the removal as well. did you make a frame for it to sit on while taking it apart. I would like to see that pic.

i did not.
    I did make one to hold the York scroll!
    I have a bunch of 1000tr YK's.
    not my design, I stole it from Entech in Garland Texas!

I do like the removal as well. did you make a frame for it to sit on while taking it apart. I would like to see that pic.

oops!!!!!!!!!
    I knew I forgot something!!!!!!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    That's called working smarter not harder.... Works well as long as you dowel the compressor foot and discharge flange first or else you are going to have fun when it comes to the suction ell.

...Now lets compare the real machine rooms, with two feet over head and six feet between the chiller next to it....
    you get 2 feet!?!? sometimes 2 feet seems like a mile in some places.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

GEEZZ boys was just having a bit of a joke, was fully aware trane make gear driven, have worked on a few, however I always like to throw the trane vs york thing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    Agreed, I'll even take it step further and dowel the casings. Especially if your going to disassemble it on the ground.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Like I preach down under.........a monkey can rebuild a chiller........it takes a technician to find the cause of the failure. My team and I are not doing this as a job but a passion. To be a true technician you need to be able to think outside of the box.
    For example, can you set up the clearances between the impeller and the volute without knowing the actual clearance.It is simple, what does the impeller do from the minute the oil pump starts until it reaches maximum capacity? Think!
    When I started doing chillers 30 years ago down under the French did not communicate with other countries and you stripped and rebuilt chillers without manuals, without knowing the weights etc. It was challenging, exciting, rewarding and standing back looking at a machine that is running and performing perfectly is a very rewarding feeling.
    Just finished rebuilding 3 x 27 year old r22 high speed centrifugal chillers. Should have been scrapped years ago but the bandages are holding. No one else in the state will touch them.
    Old but a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gear-Drive Guru View Post
    .........a monkey can rebuild a chiller......
    That's a mighty smart monkey you have.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast