+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane chiller techs

Post Likes

Trane chiller techs

Gents,

Why is the rebuild so easy on a trane chiller compared to a york , have trane done a geared drive in recent years , yes. many years ago, 20 thou ho ho

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Gents,

Why is the rebuild so easy on a trane chiller compared to a york ,
    You've obviously become delusional due to the high temperatures this year...

Either that, or you've not done many, if any rebuilds.

Post Likes
    Try doing 1500 ton bench grinders although the technical end is easy there is some serious pucker factor when you pull the first stage volute

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Gents,

Why is the rebuild so easy on a trane chiller compared to a york , have trane done a geared drive in recent years , yes. many years ago, 20 thou ho ho
    Would it make you happier if they were harder to rebuild. For the most part I think that you answered your own question. Trane being a direct drive instead of using a transmission.

Trane has been and does make a gear drive 134 machine for sale outside the USA

The compressor is similar to the current production Carrier.

Post Likes

Trane gear drive

rover- Yes Trane did make a gear drive centrifugal compressor, however I don't think there are many still left out there. It was CVAA, CVAB and CVAC. All were air cooled chillers with 2 or 3- 8' belt driven fans, a walk in control compartment and the starter was hung on the outside rear of the unit inside a cabinet. It had black box type overload, current and transition timers and was an R-12 system. Tonnage range was 150 - 320 tons. When it was loaded up it was smooth, unloaded it was shake, rattle and roll especially if you were standing inside of it.
    -Geo
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    Due to different market drivers outside of North America, including refrigerant phase out dates ahead of the Montreal protocol, the Trane Company produced the aircooled Centravac models CVAD (R12/UCP1) through to CVAE (R134a/UCP2) in the 150-340 ton range until it was eventually replaced by the RTAC product. There are still many of these in operation today particularly in Hong Kong and the Middle East.

The water cooled gear drive Centravac offering continues today with the water cooled CVGF (AdaptiView/R134a) as the product offering. Again there are many of the previous water cooled gear drive models CVGA through CVGE in operation today but only outside of the US.

IMHO the directve models are the premium product however the gear drive centrifugals have also proven to be just as reliable.
    Necessity is the mother of invention

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    rover- Yes Trane did make a gear drive centrifugal compressor, however I don't think there are many still left out there....
    i will be collecting vibration data on 2 of them later this week!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Like my name implies I luv gear-drive chillers made by Trane. So much so that I have been working on them for over 30 years. I have seen chiller running for 15 years without a rebuild. Trane built the following water cooled machines on R12:- cvga, and the air cooled cvaa, cvac. It was then sent overseas where Trane in France built the cvga from 340 ton through to 900 tons and today most of these machines have been converted to R134a. Frane continued with this product and brought on line the cvge and cvae machines on R134a only. The cvae was replaced by the rtaa and rtac chillers but the water cooled remained in operation. In the late nineties Lacrosse put on the drawing board a new gear drive chiller optimized for R134a with a falling film evaporator call the cvgf which is in production in Lacrosse and China today. Export only. Sorry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear-Drive Guru View Post
    Like my name implies I luv gear-drive chillers made by Trane. So much so that I have been working on them for over 30 years. I have seen chiller running for 15 years without a rebuild. Trane built the following water cooled machines on R12:- cvga, and the air cooled cvaa, cvac. It was then sent overseas where Trane in France built the cvga from 340 ton through to 900 tons and today most of these machines have been converted to R134a. Frane continued with this product and brought on line the cvge and cvae machines on R134a only. The cvae was replaced by the rtaa and rtac chillers but the water cooled remained in operation. In the late nineties Lacrosse put on the drawing board a new gear drive chiller optimized for R134a with a falling film evaporator call the cvgf which is in production in Lacrosse and China today. Export only. Sorry
    GD-Guru, don't forget the CVGB (CCGB compressor) series. I agree the R12 machines were bullet-proof, have opened compressors after 60,000+hrs for conversion to R134a and found the bearings almost as new. IMHO I don't believe the product was as robust once connverted to R134a.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    GD-Guru, don't forget the CVGB (CCGB compressor) series. I agree the R12 machines were bullet-proof, have opened compressors after 60,000+hrs for conversion to R134a and found the bearings almost as new. IMHO I don't believe the product was as robust once connverted to R134a.
    So, why don't they sell those things in the States? Also, per the picture, why'd they see fit to leave the motor tail bearing off the larger of the two?

Post Likes
    truer words were never spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    Try doing 1500 ton bench grinders although the technical end is easy there is some serious pucker factor when you pull the first stage volute

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    So, why don't they sell those things in the States? Also, per the picture, why'd they see fit to leave the motor tail bearing off the larger of the two?
    The earlier gear drive design was sold in the states as an air cooled package, the later gear drives design were sold in markets under accelerated HCFC phase outs. The direct drive design offers a higher efficiency than the current gear drive design.

The low speed bearings are a cantilever design located in the low speed bearing housing, I cannot accurately answer the reasoning behind this design. A question for a Guru who was closeley involved with the design phase!

Post Likes
    I know Trane isn't the only one that does that, but it sure seems like a lot of overhung weight....

Post Likes
    I personally would rather rebuild a gear machine anyday. All a Trane is, is alot of work. Too much heavy lifting and no thinking, except the thinking if your rigging will hold all of that iron. It also takes alot longer to rebuild. I can rebuild a York and a Carrier in 2 days, compared to at least 3 to 4 days for a Trane. Thats only if you have room overhead; get ready for a marathon in low clearance situations. ( I am just speaking of the compressor rebuild part) Lets not even talk about if you lose a motor. Replace just the motor on the York and Carrier, pull the entire compressor for the Trane. Remember, Its hard to stop a Trane; unless you send it cold condenser water, then it will derail on oil loss!

Post Likes
    Looks like a copy of the D series. I thought that China was the only ones to reverse engineer. Just kidding.

Post Likes
    there is an easy way to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by spinning wheel View Post
    I personally would rather rebuild a gear machine anyday. All a Trane is, is alot of work. Too much heavy lifting and no thinking, except the thinking if your rigging will hold all of that iron. It also takes alot longer to rebuild. I can rebuild a York and a Carrier in 2 days, compared to at least 3 to 4 days for a Trane. Thats only if you have room overhead; get ready for a marathon in low clearance situations. ( I am just speaking of the compressor rebuild part) Lets not even talk about if you lose a motor. Replace just the motor on the York and Carrier, pull the entire compressor for the Trane. Remember, Its hard to stop a Trane; unless you send it cold condenser water, then it will derail on oil loss!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frank chiller install.jpg  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    there is an easy way to do it!
    That's called working smarter not harder.... Works well as long as you dowel the compressor foot and discharge flange first or else you are going to have fun when it comes to the suction ell.

Post Likes
    Like I said, most of the time. Not every room has a forklift or the clearance. I would bet that this is the only one like this that you work on. Now lets compare the real machine rooms, with two feet over head and six feet between the chiller next to it. Then lets see you love on that big girl. Try a gear machine once, you'll like it.

Post Likes
    I do like the removal as well. did you make a frame for it to sit on while taking it apart. I would like to see that pic.

Post Likes
    i did not.
    I did make one to hold the York scroll!
    I have a bunch of 1000tr YK's.
    not my design, I stole it from Entech in Garland Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by spinning wheel View Post
    I do like the removal as well. did you make a frame for it to sit on while taking it apart. I would like to see that pic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in