Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    81

    Trane chiller techs

    Gents,

    Why is the rebuild so easy on a trane chiller compared to a york , have trane done a geared drive in recent years , yes. many years ago, 20 thou ho ho

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Gents,

    Why is the rebuild so easy on a trane chiller compared to a york ,
    You've obviously become delusional due to the high temperatures this year...


    Either that, or you've not done many, if any rebuilds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    353
    Try doing 1500 ton bench grinders although the technical end is easy there is some serious pucker factor when you pull the first stage volute

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Gents,

    Why is the rebuild so easy on a trane chiller compared to a york , have trane done a geared drive in recent years , yes. many years ago, 20 thou ho ho
    Would it make you happier if they were harder to rebuild. For the most part I think that you answered your own question. Trane being a direct drive instead of using a transmission.

    Trane has been and does make a gear drive 134 machine for sale outside the USA

    The compressor is similar to the current production Carrier.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    875

    Trane gear drive

    rover- Yes Trane did make a gear drive centrifugal compressor, however I don't think there are many still left out there. It was CVAA, CVAB and CVAC. All were air cooled chillers with 2 or 3- 8' belt driven fans, a walk in control compartment and the starter was hung on the outside rear of the unit inside a cabinet. It had black box type overload, current and transition timers and was an R-12 system. Tonnage range was 150 - 320 tons. When it was loaded up it was smooth, unloaded it was shake, rattle and roll especially if you were standing inside of it.
    -Geo
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    A land down under
    Posts
    309
    Due to different market drivers outside of North America, including refrigerant phase out dates ahead of the Montreal protocol, the Trane Company produced the aircooled Centravac models CVAD (R12/UCP1) through to CVAE (R134a/UCP2) in the 150-340 ton range until it was eventually replaced by the RTAC product. There are still many of these in operation today particularly in Hong Kong and the Middle East.

    The water cooled gear drive Centravac offering continues today with the water cooled CVGF (AdaptiView/R134a) as the product offering. Again there are many of the previous water cooled gear drive models CVGA through CVGE in operation today but only outside of the US.

    IMHO the directve models are the premium product however the gear drive centrifugals have also proven to be just as reliable.
    Necessity is the mother of invention

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    4,388
    Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    rover- Yes Trane did make a gear drive centrifugal compressor, however I don't think there are many still left out there....
    i will be collecting vibration data on 2 of them later this week!
    When I am late for work, I usually make up for it by leaving early.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth Down Under
    Posts
    26
    Like my name implies I luv gear-drive chillers made by Trane. So much so that I have been working on them for over 30 years. I have seen chiller running for 15 years without a rebuild. Trane built the following water cooled machines on R12:- cvga, and the air cooled cvaa, cvac. It was then sent overseas where Trane in France built the cvga from 340 ton through to 900 tons and today most of these machines have been converted to R134a. Frane continued with this product and brought on line the cvge and cvae machines on R134a only. The cvae was replaced by the rtaa and rtac chillers but the water cooled remained in operation. In the late nineties Lacrosse put on the drawing board a new gear drive chiller optimized for R134a with a falling film evaporator call the cvgf which is in production in Lacrosse and China today. Export only. Sorry

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    A land down under
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear-Drive Guru View Post
    Like my name implies I luv gear-drive chillers made by Trane. So much so that I have been working on them for over 30 years. I have seen chiller running for 15 years without a rebuild. Trane built the following water cooled machines on R12:- cvga, and the air cooled cvaa, cvac. It was then sent overseas where Trane in France built the cvga from 340 ton through to 900 tons and today most of these machines have been converted to R134a. Frane continued with this product and brought on line the cvge and cvae machines on R134a only. The cvae was replaced by the rtaa and rtac chillers but the water cooled remained in operation. In the late nineties Lacrosse put on the drawing board a new gear drive chiller optimized for R134a with a falling film evaporator call the cvgf which is in production in Lacrosse and China today. Export only. Sorry
    GD-Guru, don't forget the CVGB (CCGB compressor) series. I agree the R12 machines were bullet-proof, have opened compressors after 60,000+hrs for conversion to R134a and found the bearings almost as new. IMHO I don't believe the product was as robust once connverted to R134a.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Necessity is the mother of invention

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    GD-Guru, don't forget the CVGB (CCGB compressor) series. I agree the R12 machines were bullet-proof, have opened compressors after 60,000+hrs for conversion to R134a and found the bearings almost as new. IMHO I don't believe the product was as robust once connverted to R134a.
    So, why don't they sell those things in the States? Also, per the picture, why'd they see fit to leave the motor tail bearing off the larger of the two?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    truer words were never spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    Try doing 1500 ton bench grinders although the technical end is easy there is some serious pucker factor when you pull the first stage volute
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    A land down under
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    So, why don't they sell those things in the States? Also, per the picture, why'd they see fit to leave the motor tail bearing off the larger of the two?
    The earlier gear drive design was sold in the states as an air cooled package, the later gear drives design were sold in markets under accelerated HCFC phase outs. The direct drive design offers a higher efficiency than the current gear drive design.

    The low speed bearings are a cantilever design located in the low speed bearing housing, I cannot accurately answer the reasoning behind this design. A question for a Guru who was closeley involved with the design phase!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Necessity is the mother of invention

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,610
    I know Trane isn't the only one that does that, but it sure seems like a lot of overhung weight....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event