Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: a/c noise

  1. #1

    a/c noise

    I have a Trane XR80-it makes a pretty loud THUMP noise when it first comes on and another loud THUMP noise when it shuts off. Any idea what it might be? The unit has been doing this for a while now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Litchfield,Il
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by MEBEGRAM View Post
    I have a Trane XR80-it makes a pretty loud THUMP noise when it first comes on and another loud THUMP noise when it shuts off. Any idea what it might be? The unit has been doing this for a while now.
    Meb - How old is the unit? Have you had it serviced lately?
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

  3. #3
    The unit is 6 yrs. old. It hasn't been serviced for 3 years. Husband said it sounds like a filter flipping back and forth somewhere but there is no filter in the unit downstairs. Just the one in the intake-upstairs. I said it sounds like a gas noise but he said the a/c runs on electricity-not gas like the furnace.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Litchfield,Il
    Posts
    565
    Check your filter and make sure it doesn't need changed.

    Sounds like your ductwork is poping. (flexing in the middle)
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568
    i would try going down stairs by unit when off! then have some one start up a/c stand there and observe! look at return duct going into the side of unit, does it seem to slightly flex in ? do you hear the noise, where does it sound like its coming from. look and listen?then while still in basement have someone turn unit off at t-stat, while someone is in basement observing ! does the return duct move,flex make any noise? where do you hear the noise! the key is eyes,ears,patience, if you still can't narrow it down, call a tech, but basicaly , a tech will use the eyes,ears,then listen and look for the noise! good luck.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    i would try going down stairs by unit when off! then have some one start up a/c stand there and observe! look at return duct going into the side of unit, does it seem to slightly flex in ? do you hear the noise, where does it sound like its coming from. look and listen?then while still in basement have someone turn unit off at t-stat, while someone is in basement observing ! does the return duct move,flex make any noise? where do you hear the noise! the key is eyes,ears,patience, if you still can't narrow it down, call a tech, but basicaly , a tech will use the eyes,ears,then listen and look for the noise! good luck.
    ps follow up, like other guy said, check and make sure filter is very clean, also you can try to start the unit w/o filter in, after doing all the other checks, to see if that quiets noise down, but after the test, make sure to put filter back in unit!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,627
    some furnaces have a filter inside the furnace that should have been removed on install

  8. #8
    the filter is new/clean. It gets changed once a month. We can not see any other filters in the unit. Non down by the blower. We don't see the ductwork flexing anywhere. Thanks though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Litchfield,Il
    Posts
    565
    Okedoke.....sounds like you need to make the call. You can go on our contractor locator map and see if there is a specialist nearby. If not then your nearest trusted HVAC Co.

    It needs to be inspected a little further. It could be something else that maybe or maybe not damaging your system. Why take a chance. Don't delay.

    Best wishes.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Hmm

    Quote Originally Posted by luskys a/c View Post
    Okedoke.....sounds like you need to make the call. You can go on our contractor locator map and see if there is a specialist nearby. If not then your nearest trusted HVAC Co.

    It needs to be inspected a little further. It could be something else that maybe or maybe not damaging your system. Why take a chance. Don't delay.

    Best wishes.
    SMART POST!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event