A/C Compressor making buzzing noise while running.

Hello!

We have a Kenmore 9000 Super High Efficiency. While it's running however, it will go from a quiet, reasonable hum to a buzzsaw sound that will stay on or come in/out, then stop, etc. with no rhyme or reason to it. Almost sounds like a branch is stuck getting ground by the blades but I doubt that's it. It's been doing this for years. The unit is level and otherwise works great.

Any advice on what could the sound be?

Thanks!

it's been happening for years? i put a xe1000 condenser a/h in some ladies house 15 yrs ago. that unit has been loud right out of the box, never broke down to this day! have you ever had the unit serviced and what did the tech say?

Yes we've had it serviced. It broke down about 5-6 years ago and we had it fixed. But it made this noise before then too. I don't think we mentioned the noise to him back then.

Might be a noisy contactor. Shut off the breaker when the unit is running. If the annoying noise continues, that's what it is. Call your dealer and tell them. If it stops, it's the $$ compressor $$ or fan motor.

OK, will try it. Thanks for the advice!

hey charger, question, how old is the unit? is this sound always been like that, or has the noise changed? if it 's been like this for years why is it bothering you now? just curious, did something change.this is a little tough to hear over the computer. this is one of those deals where boots on the ground, could probably help you, any way good luck, a go lance alworth/john hadl!

I hope I understood correctly what you requested.... I turned the breaker off for the A/C and the unit just shut down, no noise. So, compressor or fan motor? I suppose it will merit a visit.

My guess is that the unit is prob at least 15 yrs old if not older. We've lived here 7 years and it was existing. We've done a little work in the backyard and plan on spending more time out there. When the noise starts it's very annoying to carry a conversation. I can probably provide a sound file if you want to hear it.

hey charger, it's a judgement call, some units are just noisy, i have a builder model arco aire in a friends house, that's been noisy from day one! some units especially the builder grade, older units, sometimes are just loud. i've put in two exact model units ,and i can tell 1 is louder than the other, but both worked fine. judgement call, you can always call a tech, he can put his gauges on, take his readings, volts amps draws etc. and give you there opinion,good luck.

My sister's WeatherKing has to be the noisiest unit I've ever heard residentially. The sucker hasn't missed a lick in 15 years, despite a huge dog pee hole in the outdoor coil. That old Tecumseh keeps roaring along.

On some entry level units, cabinet panels, fan grills and coil guards sometimes vibrate and make ungodly noises. Have you tried isolating the noise by just pressing lightly on different pieces of the unit when it's making the noise?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Possible cabinet vibration? Temporarily loosen some of the exterior cabinet screws to see if that makes a difference.