Duct Work For Residential Home :gah:

Ok it has been bothering me recently that my sister in laws room is not cooling like the rest of the house so i decided to check the ductwork today.

I noticed for my supply i have four 10in. ducts 3 of which go somewhere and 1 goes to a junction box with four 8 in. ducts servicing wherever they go.

On my Return side i have three 10in. returns 1 of which has a junction box with three 8in. ducts going where they go.

My sister in laws room seems to be the ductwork on supply with the four 8in ducts serviced by one 10in duct.

Is it just me or is there suppose to be 2 10in. ducts servicing the 8in. ducts on the supply side?

The compressor outside is a 4 ton compressor.

You are choked on your return and I would replace that 10" supply to the 4 8" ducts with a 12" and that should be better. Are they metal round I hope and not flex?

If flex you do have a bigger problem with return and a overall problem with supply since it takes larger duct for flex than supply by a factor of 2" larger in all the ducts. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

the ducts are flex

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorales View Post
    the ducts are flex
    Well then upsize the return flex to 12" and add another one and then at least run a metal duct to your sister in laws room from the unit or just upsize the flex ducts going to the room the trunk line to a 12" and the 8" to a 10" and that should help. Lot of work there. Good luck
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

are we talking all 3 10 inch ducts have to become 12 inch or just the one 10inch that feeds the three 8inch ducts on the return side

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorales View Post
    are we talking all 3 10 inch ducts have to become 12 inch or just the one 10inch that feeds the three 8inch ducts on the return side
    Well if your sister in laws room is the main concern that should do it (one 12 to the 3 - 8s and and if that isn't enough then run a 10" off the 12 to her room. of course if you use round duct you can use the original measurements for round. Thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.