Thread: Thermoflo or Weil Mclain or Buderus Gas Boiler

Post Likes

Thermoflo or Weil Mclain or Buderus Gas Boiler

Thanks in Advance.

I'm a home owner looking to upgrade from a 1960's Bryant to a new unit. Received bids for a Thermoflo GWA-140, Weil Mclain CGa-5, and Bederus G124 boilers. Question to all is, which seems to be the better unit?

My wife has severe noise sensitivity and we are looking for a quiet solution - both in the basement and exterior of the house. Which is why we were steered to the non-HE models. Chimney is in great shape and lined within last 10-years.

I know Thermoflo is tied to Weil Mclain and is "almost identical to the CGa."

My local supply house was cool to Buderus - but doesn't sell them. They do sell and like Weil Mclain though.

Buderus HEs were recommended by all contractors; however, only one recommended their standard model.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by johnncar View Post
    Thanks in Advance.

I'm a home owner looking to upgrade from a 1960's Bryant to a new unit. Received bids for a Thermoflo GWA-140, Weil Mclain CGa-5, and Bederus G124 boilers. Question to all is, which seems to be the better unit?

My wife has severe noise sensitivity and we are looking for a quiet solution - both in the basement and exterior of the house. Which is why we were steered to the non-HE models. Chimney is in great shape and lined within last 10-years.

I know Thermoflo is tied to Weil Mclain and is "almost identical to the CGa."

My local supply house was cool to Buderus - but doesn't sell them. They do sell and like Weil Mclain though.

Buderus HEs were recommended by all contractors; however, only one recommended their standard model.
    the buderus is a nice , quiet quality unit, imo.

Post Likes
    I have installed the Buderus GB142 and was way impressed by its performance.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    I have installed the Buderus GB142 and was way impressed by its performance.
    i was up at there class in loudenderry N.H. a very good class if you ever get there, buderus is a first class outfit, IMHO.

Post Likes
    what type of emitters do you have? cast iron rads,baseboard or copper fin? you should go with an indirect for domestic water. lifetime warranty on tank for residential use on most manufacturers.

Post Likes
    We have many many happy customers with the Buderus GB142... Mucho savings on gas bill.... VERY quiet operation....

It will cost more but it is worth it.

Also, another vote for the indirect water heater... The recovery times are terrific... and you are 90+ percent eff. vs. 60% on a standard water heater.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wogpa67 View Post
    what type of emitters do you have? cast iron rads,baseboard or copper fin? you should go with an indirect for domestic water. lifetime warranty on tank for residential use on most manufacturers.
    Cast iron radiators in a two story brick house built around 1915. We plan on going with indirect - Weil, Buderus, and Vaughn were the three recommended options.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in