Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undersized AC

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    Post 4 the guy got paid for hacking a system and left on vacation for a week without finishing the job.
    The amount of money a contractor gets paid on a job should have nothing to do with the quality of work being performed. Specially when the contractor is the one bidding the job.
    post # called reality check! if a contractor doesn't make any money on a job, he may not be in buisness to finish the job! when a contractor or someone is not making money on a job, it may effect the quality,time,material, of the job.
    a lot of times if a guy doing a job, doesn't make money or loses money on a job, unsatisfactory outcome may be the end result!

to think not making/losing money on a job, may not effect the job outcome is well ,what ever!

a couple of stories about how at times a customer said there system wasn't workong correctly, abot 14 years ago a guy i was workimg for, did a/c for a nail salon, in town, lady calls up a year later, saying unit will not cool good, we went over there, checked out unit, did a couple of do/dads and left. lady calls up 2 weeks later same thing, not cooling ggod. any way a week later drive by nail salon, guess what we saw, in the middle of the day, what the nil salon was doing was opening the front door, to let out the oders along with a lot of cold air. this door was open for like a 1/2 hour. now whats the point easy, when a customer on a new install that you feel is sized correctly, sometimes it doesn't hurt to investigate everything, along with customers life style and how there using there sysem! are they keeping windows open even on a hot day for what ever reason,cooking smells,frsh air, what ever, is the customer turning off the system when they leave for work, but come home on a hot/humid day,100 degree out side, aand then complain unit won't bring down temp. quick enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    You can't quote prices on here.
    Thanks for hitting the report button and advising us of this

I agree with mm, that thinking needs a reality check...

...in an ideal world, looking through rose colored glasses, or in a court of law maybe job profitability doesn't matter.

Otherwise it's "crap, gonna lose the truck if I spend any more time/money on this crappy job."
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

settle down. you'll get it done.
    I can't imagine that flex is uninsulated.
    he would have had to tear off shinny outer liner and insulation
    to get to inner liner to install.
    may just be a different type than you have in your home.

could be several things making unit run constantly
    t-stat could be bad
    t-stat and equipment may not be communicating properly
    fan could be in on position all the time..stuck on on..miswired.
    I'd start with smaller things, but one way or the other he would
    be back on the job. if he can't get the system he installed to
    work properly then you would need to get someone out to do so.

its not uncommon for a 1000 sq ft house in miss/la to have
    single pane windows and a two ton unit. but most don't have
    sky high utilty bills or hvac systems that never shut off.
    renters pay utility bills..it would be a justifiable concern
    for them to worry that constant run time would increase these bills.

also I'd have a the furnace checked out also..don't want to
    wait till winter to discover that it isn't working properly either.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Thanks for hitting the report button and advising us of this
    Never saw an incident that needed reporting til now. Had to search for the report button. Now I know were it is now. lol
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

UPDATE W PHOTOS/VIDEO

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

I had my tenant turn the air down to 75 last night. She txted me this morning and said that it was down to 75 when she got up at 9am.

I went by the house at 3:30pm to get some photos of the ductwork and see how it was handling the mid day 92 degree heat.

By that time the temperature inside had risen to 77 degrees. Ac was running non stop and it just can't hold it's ground. Today was actually a mild day compared to past week.

I got up in the attic to get some photos of the ductwork, and it is definitely insulated. I feel pretty dumb about the mixup. I'm sure it is the cheapest ductwork he could find. Which is fine if it works properly....

I didn't expect a cadillac system for the price. I just expect a normal functioning system that can provide a cool environment.

While I was up there I noticed that the inside unit sounds like crap. It was making a pretty loud sputtering sound. I took a video and you can clearly hear the noise in the video. Air flow also seems weaker than when it was first put in. Maybe a correlation... The filter is big(24x30x1) and was quiet dirty for only being used for 20 days, but not nearly bad enough to impede function.

http://youtu.be/92hStHOkZt0

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8528/img0513zx.jpg

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7572/img0512h.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3628/img0511j.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5329/img0510k.jpg

Condensate Problem at end of video.

At the end of the video I see a condensate drain line but the emergency backup drain pan is full of water. THAT IS BAD. The furnace and coil don't seem to be elevated much above the attic floor and may not have enough slope for the water to drain properly through the primary drainline. There should be about 1/4 inch of slope, downhill, per foot of drain minimum.

The primary drain line from the coil enclosure should have a trap to keep from venting supply air through the drain line.

Attic insulation is less than R19. The label on the ducts will give you an R value for the duct insulation. The plenum seems to be ductboard as I see a label attached. Check it out. Wall insulation can be checked in various ways. Google it. When was the home built?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Call a hvac contractor to evaluate the system.

Get every deficiency and code voilation in writing if you want to go after the original installer.

The noise could have to do with condensate; if it's coming from the refrigerant lines, either the charge is completely off, he didn't pull a vacuum, or both. The liquid line should sound as if water (solid column of liquid refrigerant) is flowing through.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Without a trap on the drain, the water can't flow out of the coil because the side upstream of the blower is under negative pressure.

In a hot attic, the foil tape may not last.

Gas line needs a drip ledge, I believe...

---------------------------------
    How much insulation is in the attic (inches), and what material is it? I've never seen that white stuff.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Call a hvac contractor to evaluate the system.

Get every deficiency and code voilation in writing if you want to go after the original installer.

The noise could have to do with condensate; if it's coming from the refrigerant lines, either the charge is completely off, he didn't pull a vacuum, or both. The liquid line should sound as if water (solid column of liquid refrigerant) is flowing through.

I was afraid it was time to call in a pro for a evaluation.... Hard part is finding a decent one in the area. I have tried the big name companies which are staffed by young guys who are lazy and are only concerned about getting the $80 service fee for looking

When I bought my office building one of my tenants was complaining that the AC was hot in her salon. Big Name AC company sends out tech and he said it was normal for it to be 80 degrees during the summer. Come to find out the coil was plugged with dirt and hair.. Guy that eventually fixed it said the same thing. I insisted that he check the coil and it was completely stopped up. Place is freezing now.

It just sucks how sorry people are...

I would feel partly responsible if I had haggled him down on the pricing and caused him to take a job that would lose him money.. He actually met me at the house first about doing some small wiring. I told him I planned on going back with window units and he threw out a ballpark figure on what it would cost to do the job.

I told him I needed to think it over and he had a full day to check pricing and get a accurate figure for the quote.

Worse part is the guy played the religion card.... *First Red Flag*... He is supposedly a preacher lol...

What is the best way to really screen a HVAC company???...References, years in business, Highest priced, etc..

Without a trap on the drain, the water can't flow out of the coil because the side upstream of the blower is under negative pressure.

How much insulation is in the attic (inches), and what material is it? I've never seen that white stuff.
    The attic insulation is over the top of the 2x6 rafters by about 2-4". I'm not sure what the material is...

Should he have used mastic instead of foil??

I'm not sure the specs on the Rheem air handler, but on the armstrong units we've installed of that size, you need a 3 inch trap on the condensate drain. For the OP, since the Air handler draws through the coil instead of blowing past it, it's under negative pressure. The trap will actually hold enough condensate (water) in it to keep air from being sucked back through the drain which is currently keeping water from draining out of it. All that water in the secondary drain pan got there by finding its way out of the unit somehow other than through the drain. That needs to get fixed ASAP or you're going to find you've got a rusted out Air handler in a couple of years - that's if it doesn't find its way to a circuit board or motor first. Not sure about the rattling - hard to tell from the video - could be bad vibration of the unit, though it sounds like something to do with the blower. Can't say I've heard the evap coil make sounds like that before so I wouldn't suspect it's in the refrigerant circuit, but I'm pretty new to this as well.

As far as going after the contractor, etc. I would give him a chance to make it right (fix the rattle, drain, venting, gas piping, etc.) but if he doesn't, I think you're going to be looking at finding a qualified contractor to come figure out what is going on and get it right before your equipment blows itself up or your tenant feels they're not safe and then you might be dealing with more inspections on your house. I don't know what you paid for the system, but based on the comments of those who did I think you've got yourself a pay me now or pay me later situation. If you can't get him to respond in the next couple of days I think you need to bite the bullet and pay for a quality contractor to come out and take care of the situation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast