Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undersized AC

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    If the unit is undersized by even 1/2 a ton, the house has some major problems which a 2.5 or 3 ton system won't solve.

If the ducts aren't insulated at all, you could easily be losing 40% or more of your capacity. Throw in other major problems with the install (charge, airflow, leakage) and your 2 ton unit could be providing 1 ton or less of cooling.

55-60F degree air can pick up a lot of heat when the ducting runs through a 120F+ degree attic.

That being said, a 2 ton unit in a house with little or no insulation and single pane windows should run a lot (continuously at times) when the od temp is above 90F.

After looking back and comparing photos online I'm 99% sure every bit of the ductwork is un insulated. Which would explain why it's able to cool on over cast days when the attic is relatively cool......

I'm just F$#$#$ sick right now...

I just don't know why in hell the guy would install something he absolutely knows isn't going to work??? I'm baffled.....

So what are my options?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by vinese View Post
    After looking back and comparing photos online I'm 99% sure every bit of the ductwork is un insulated. Which would explain why it's able to cool on over cast days when the attic is relatively cool......

I'm just F$#$#$ sick right now...

I just don't know why in hell the guy would install something he absolutely knows isn't going to work??? I'm baffled.....

So what are my options?
    maybe the duct has internal lining?

He charged XXXX for parts and labor---Which seemed low. I was expecting no less than XK.
    For a furnace (venting, gas line, stat), ductwork, a/c, and coil?

Not sure how he broke even on the equipment, let alone materials and labor.

Even what you were expecting is very low.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Of the ducts on this site(http://www.airflowco.net/Air-Flow-Sh...aspx?typeid=12), which one does it look like?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Material cost was supposedly $$$$ and labor was $$$$$. I couldn't not do it for that price... The Window units were going to cost $$$$$...

Material seemed awfully low considering the prices I've seen online. It's all brand new Rheem Equipment, digital t-stat, concrete pad under the outside unit.

He tied into the hot water heater gas line and put in a shut off valve by the water heater.

I'm going to put up photos first thing tomorrow.

Guy is still taking my calls and claiming that the unit is working fine and that the tenant needs to set the T-stat on 78 and forget it.

I agree that if she is turning it way up or off during the day and expecting it to cool off when she gets home it is going to take sever hours in this heat.
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 08-14-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Pricing Removed

Of the ducts on this site(http://www.airflowco.net/Air-Flow-Sh...aspx?typeid=12), which one does it look like?
    You can see the ribs on the exterior which makes me believe it's the non insulated version. Definitely isn't the good fat stuff with smooth exterior...

It did fee more substantial than the crap used for dryer exhaust though....

He still hasn't ran the exhaust for the furnace either. Is that necessary in ventilated attic?? I'm guessing duh yes...

"Is that necessary in ventilated attic??"

YES.

----------------------------------------

I would be afraid of the furnace install - don't allow the tenant to turn on the heat someone with a gas license takes a look.

-------------------------
    BTW, the mods on this board hate discussions related to pricing - might want to edit the prices out.

You can't quote prices on here.

Find out if he is licensed, bonded and insured. You have legal rights even if he is unlicensed. In our state its a big fine for performing work as a unlicensed contractor. You can go to your state licensing board and they will help.

If he used unisulated flex in the attic its not to code. You can still get permits and inspections. The inspectors only care about the work performed not your old house. Its a safety thing. You need to make sure your tenants are safe.

Best idea is pay another company for an eval then you know what has to be done. Have them give you an estimate for corrections. Confront your installer give him a chance for corrections with the altimatium of the licensing board for help.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    You can't quote prices on here.

Find out if he is licensed, bonded and insured. You have legal rights even if he is unlicensed. In our state its a big fine for performing work as a unlicensed contractor. You can go to your state licensing board and they will help.

If he used unisulated flex in the attic its not to code. You can still get permits and inspections. The inspectors only care about the work performed not your old house. Its a safety thing. You need to make sure your tenants are safe.

Best idea is pay another company for an eval then you know what has to be done. Have them give you an estimate for corrections. Confront your installer give him a chance for corrections with the altimatium of the licensing board for help.
    post 18 the dude basically worked for zippo!

Post 4 the guy got paid for hacking a system and left on vacation for a week without finishing the job.
    The amount of money a contractor gets paid on a job should have nothing to do with the quality of work being performed. Specially when the contractor is the one bidding the job.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

sounds like a side jobber to me , time to call the pro also you never pay untill the job is complete

2 ton should be P L E N T Y for 1000 sf. The issue is you are likely only getting 1/2 ton or less delivered, which seems is becoming clear to you.

Here is where having a job specification would have really helped. People think have is a product they buy, with no clue how important design and quality of components is.

If you want a Cadillac deville, you specify. If you want a chevy nova, you specify.

With hvac you look at price variation and unwittingly select a nova thinking you are getting a deville. You bundle the spec and bid and have the contractor guess his own spec, then seem really surprised when bids are all over the map.

Given prices (naughty) I wouldn't be surprised if the equipment is used or "fell off the back of a truck". No way a business can pay insurance, employees, ect, on that.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast