Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biasi Boilers

Hello, I am in need of a new boiler. I have done a lot of online research so far and have determined that when I win the Lottery I can install a Viessman. But since I have yet to win I am interested in any info or thoughts on the Biasi B10 oil boilers. I like the 3 pass, smaller water volume and lower flue gas temp factors. Are these good boilers because they seem to be less expensive. I did a search an this site and found that many people seemed to mention Burnhams, are these better boilers.

Any thought, opinions, ect. on the Biasi wouild be appreciated since I coundn't find much info out there on my own.

Thanks

Hmm European MFG.

edited

[Edited by dan sw fl on 11-20-2005 at 03:38 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Re: European MFG.

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by pbrousseau
    Hello, I am in need of a new boiler.

But since I have yet to win I am interested in any info or thoughts on the Biasi B10 oil boilers. I like the 3 pass, smaller water volume and lower flue gas temp factors.

Are these good boilers because they seem to be less expensive. ... Any thought, opinions, ect. on the Biasi wouild be appreciated since I coundn't find much info out there on my own.
    If you can't find info on a manufacturer, and parts availability is signficantly restricted then
    it may NOT be a good choice,

However, if a local company handles this manufacturer you may be in luck.

http://www.qhtinc.com/pdf/b10final.pdf

http://www.qhtinc.com/pdf/B10CHIMNEYMANUALREV_F.pdf

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...boilermain.asp

Best of luck ..
    keep us informed of your pursuit of the Biasi product.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 11-20-2005 at 03:34 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Biasi's a big outfit in Italy. Not as fancy as Vie$$mann as they don't make their own custom boiler controls and you need to keep the return water temp over 130° like any other oil fired boiler. The B-10 was also marketed under the Vega name for a number years already.

Unless you have warranty issues with the cast iron sections, you really don't need any parts from them.

Put a Riello burner on it and you'll have a great combo.

I was going to put one in my home, but needed a top flue boiler. All of the 3 pass boilers usualy have all their piping come off the rear of the boiler around the flue making it a bit of a pain to pipe.

Thanks for the replies.

dan sw fi- thanks for the links. I am able to find several relatively local companies that do deal with Biasi. So I don't think that will be a problem. We were planing to buy the boiler from houseneeds.com and have a plumber or heating contractor come in and install it.

John sp- We were planning on putting in a Riello burner since that is what a QHT rep recommended at a home show we recently went to.

Our current boiler is a top flue boiler also, how much additional room or extra piping does a rear flue boiler take? Or are there other issues I should consider?

Also I would like to get any thoughts on how they compare to other brands of oil fired boilers including the usual recommendations like the Weil-Mclains out there.

Thanks

Before you buy the boiler online, Call around and find someone who will hook it up. Not many professionals will touch online purchases.

A three pass cast iron boiler will give you the highest efficency and are the easiest to service and clean (which keeps the efficiency up). Since the flue and piping come off the rear, you usually need to stay off the rear wall around 2FT. since you probably need to get 2 90° elbows in to mate up with the chimney flue breech on the wall. Return/supply piping, P/T valve and aquastat go back there also. You need access room to service this stuff in the future.

I'm not as impressed with Viessmann's costs when plently of other players producing 87% efficent boilers.

You should also look at Burnham's new MPO and the Weil-Mclain Ultra oil (VERY HEAVY). Buderus's G115 series is usually very price competative.

Biasi and Pennsotti boilers are very light weight and very low water volume which are fine for baseboard and rads, but I wouldn't recommend them on high water volume gravity systems.

If you need top flue for the space savings look at Burnham's LE, Laars Maxx, and the Energy Kinetics System2000. Axeman-Anderson also has a non-prorated lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger. All of these are steel boilers.

I hope you're getting an indirect water heater.

Thanks for the info. And yes I think we've settled on an indirect tank over the other options.

Why don't professionals like to install online purchased boilers? Is there something different about these from the ones they get themselves?

Thumbs up

contractors dont like to install stuff they dont sell because they dont get the mark up on the boiler.as far as hooking up your boiler no problem exsept you will not save any money.its like bringing your food to the cafe and leting them cook it

Most warranties are defined as being purchased and installed from a qualified service tech. You'll find someone to install for time and material but warranty claims will not be honored.

This is not a slam, but good luck finding someone reputable to install an internet sourced boiler. Who's going to warrantee the boiler and labor to change out a problem boiler? That being said, why bother with some euro boiler at all?, the equivalent USA made type of boiler is available as well (MPO, Ultra, many more). Remember, a successful boiler install (or anything for that matter) is how correctly it is installed in the first place AND maintained afterwards. Those high efficiency numbers are from perfect maintenance, should you install something no one wants to work on or is not VERY well versed on, you'll never see those efficiencies, and actually, you will not even get what a routine boiler can do (80-85%). I just don't see the benefit of some euro boiler that maybe might get another 2-5% better efficiency IF all things work out for it.....there is just too many things that won't work out for it to do so. Buy and have installed what the local companies put in, direct your savings where it actually matters most, like better windows and real energy saving options. 'Nuff said.

they run good with a beckett nx too

Originally posted by pbrousseau
    Why don't professionals like to install online purchased boilers? Is there something different about these from the ones they get themselves?
    As an example.
    I had a neighbor ask me to install a thermostat that she bought at HD. Against my better judgement I agreed. $XX. She said fine. I hooked it up and it didn’t work. Bad stat, it happens. Now she wants me to drive back to HD and exchange it. Im a sucker, Drive there (Gotta love that place on a Sunday) and exchange it, Drive back. 1 ˝ hrs. Replaced stat again. Unit works. I gave up 3 hours of my time for $XX. (I think the gas cost ˝ that much.)

If you buy the boiler and there is a problem WHO is going to pay???
    You have a new boiler, it’s the winter, but no heat

If you want me to hook up any equipment not purchased through me I figure what I would normally charge, Subtract the cost of the equipment and get a check before I start any work. Then if there is a problem YOU can deal with whoever you got it from.

The bottom line is your not going to save much if any $ buy items like this on-line, and if there is a problem it will cost you more.

Your investing in your home. You’ve done your research, Now is not the time to get cheep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast