From 4ton to 2.5 ton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From 4ton to 2.5 ton

I have a 12yr old Goodman 4 ton unit with a bad compressor. My house is approximately 1900sq. feet cape cod. We live in central NC. I have had several vendors out for quotes on replacing the complete system. My Trane vendor did a load calculation that recommended only a 2.5ton unit. The other vendors questioned the need for 4ton, most quoted a 3.5ton unit. My questions are:

1. Are load calculations accurate?
    2. Can my 4ton just be replaced by a 2.5ton unit with little duct work?
    3. Will the 2.5 ton unit adequately heat/cool my home?

1. As accurate as the info input to them.
    2. Usually yes.
    3. Can't say from here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

2.5 ton 1900 sq. feet. What is the house underground with no windows or doors.

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    2.5 ton 1900 sq. feet. What is the house underground with no windows or doors.
    Not out of the norm in the northeast, at least in Maryland, for decently insulated homes (shade helps).

Have another load clculation done. Compare them. At least one did a load calc. already.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If they have confidence in their calculation ,they should have no problem giving you a guaranteed temperature ,that will be maintained for both heating and cooling.

If you really only need a 2.5 ton,you should have noticed how little the 4 ton ran,and higher then normal humidity in you home.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Not out of the norm in the northeast, at least in Maryland, for decently insulated homes (shade helps).
    I got 3 ton in my 1500sq. ft. house.
    He can do whatever he wants
    It works extremely hard during the summer
    I dont even have to see the house or do a load calculation to tell you that your gonna be burning hot in a 1900 sq. ft. house with a 2.5 ton on a 100 degree day
    but hey ....go with whoever you got the most confidence in OP
    I'd say that 2.5 ton will get it to 78 or 79 on a 100 degree day. Maybey not even below 80
    Besides I've learned a lot the 2 years I been in the trade

Here, 1900 sq ft with reasonable insulation would be 2.5 ton easy. I have big 2 story 4 bedroom homes up to 2500 sq ft on 2.5 tons and they cool fine in the 90s. Key is don't let the place get hot then turn it on late day. If you want to do that, stay 4 ton and have higher humidity.

Only concern I have is your desired temp inside. Industry standard is 75 and that's likely where the Trane dealer set his program. If you are average and like 75 you're fine. If you want 68-70 like me that won't be OK.

http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Here, 1900 sq ft with reasonable insulation would be 2.5 ton easy. I have big 2 story 4 bedroom homes up to 2500 sq ft on 2.5 tons and they cool fine in the 90s. Key is don't let the place get hot then turn it on late day. If you want to do that, stay 4 ton and have higher humidity.

Only concern I have is your desired temp inside. Industry standard is 75 and that's likely where the Trane dealer set his program. If you are average and like 75 you're fine. If you want 68-70 like me that won't be OK.

http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html
    yea I like mine at 70 summer and winter.
    Sq. ft . does'nt mean much I know but your saying a 5 ton will so 3,800 sq.ft?
    if2.5 will do 1900 then 5 ton will do 3,800 sq ft. Not where I live

Jim I just dont see why the same house is now needing half the heating and cooling that it has always had.

I got 1650 sq ft.
    At 2.5 tons I'm oversized by about ¾ ton.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We put 4 ton systems on 4000 sq ft all the time here. With a well built house and a properly designed system they have no problems keeping up.

You will be much more comfortable at 75 degrees with less humidity than at 70 degrees with more humidity. The reason most people turn there A/C down past 75 is to remove more humidity even if they don't realize why they are doing it.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I got 1650 sq ft.
    At 2.5 tons I'm oversized by about ¾ ton.
    about the same size house as mine and my 3 ton hardly ever shuts off in summer so a 2.5 would'nt do mine.
    Matter of fact it don't shut of till the sun has been down about an hour
    So my 3 ton runs fromm 11 am till 7 pm continously in my 1500 sq ft house for 2-3 months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast