Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cisco Quietly Shuts Down Building Energy Management Program

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedFreak View Post
    "...with an emphasis on minimizing the impact on current customers, partners and employees."

Makes you wonder how this is going to go down!
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Likely selling out to the BLACK BOX on the wall / interface to multi vendor Software outfit.

From what I saw of their product a year ago, this is a good move for them. A little late perhaps, but still good.

Cisco seems to be shutting down a lot of their acquisitions lately. Wonder what they have going on other than a return to core business?
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

So, this is the death of Richards-zeta/cisco, or will RZ be spun back off into a seperate company?

Quote Originally Posted by Ctl-fool View Post
    So, this is the death of Richards-zeta/cisco, or will RZ be spun back off into a seperate company?
    Doubtful. Cisco seems to buy a company, play with it for a few years and then its never heard of again (Navini Wireless for example).
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

too bad....RZ had an interesting product, with alot of 3rd party drivers for legacy integration.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Cisco seems to be shutting down a lot of their acquisitions lately. Wonder what they have going on other than a return to core business?
    there stock has taken a buisness, they are probably getting back to basics, plus there most likely not making money in this line!jmo

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    there stock has taken a buisness, they are probably getting back to basics, plus there most likely not making money in this line!jmo
    error, should read, there stock has taken a BEATING, though the last two trading days , seems headed up!

After integrating a few server farms I feel that some IT managers pushed into facilities/sustainability aren't qualified or experienced enough to actually make the initial correct decisions as to an EMS. That was Cisco's foot in the door. Just like a bad restaurant word gets around and theyre gone..

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedFreak View Post
    Hmmm. Not a particularly big surprise.

Not that I knew a great deal about their program. However, from what little reading I did about it when it was initially announced, it seemed Cisco was a bit guilty of fuzzy, hopeful thinking. As versus having a solid business plan.

More interesting in the article to me, was the comments that pretty much across the board Cisco, Google, and Microsoft found homeowners/consumers to have little interest in their offerings.

Interesting because it confirmed certain of my own thoughts on the matter.

(1) Okay, being able to see your current power consumption on your web browser on your PC, or on your smart phone, is one of those "nifty" ideas ... mostly useful to entertain the bored or to impress your friends. But of WHAT, actual practical use is it in the long run so as to cause a private person to keep using it? Of what use ... practical real use ... to the AVERAGE home owner ... is it so as to cause them to be willing to pay a fee for services or take other action from which a profit may be derived by a company offering said service?

(2) Most average consumers/home owners know too little about how things really work to make any useful, really useful decisions based on the info presented. Okay, they have the info, now what the heck do they do with it? What are the best, highest payback for the buck actions to take as a result? Who do they ask, who'll offer FREE ... real advice? Mostly if they inquire the answers are always gonna be, "You've got to cough up a bunch of money up front to save some over the long term (years)."

Pretty much not what the average consumers wishes to hear. Not in these economic times when consumers are tightening their belts, worrying if they'll have a job next year, dealing with a home whose value is tenuous as it is and may be worth less than the mortgage owed, etc.

In short, I suspect that the average homeowner may well be amiable to listening to a sales pitch that is aimed at convincing them to replace a broken, no longer working item with one that is more energy efficient. But I don't think they're in the mood to ditch that still working just fine refrigerator, furnace, or whatever and replace it with a more expensive, but more energy efficient model ... just because of what they'd see on those energy consumption screens.

I myself am in the EMS/BAS field professionally, and have done a few things around my home to increase energy efficiency/reduce costs. BUT ... for me the actual real world cost for doing such is not so great as it might be for someone else. I can get needed parts/devices at a much lower price than can the average consumer, install them myself, program things myself, etc.

Even so, I limit what I do as a matter of practicality. Some schemes, methods, abilities ... just aren't useful enough to me as a home owner ... to ever be worth the cost or trouble or personal time to muck with. Except for their WOW ... look at what I can do factor ... to be shown to others to impress them. Other actions I might have taken but didn't was because payback on invested time, costs, etc via energy savings would have been very extended ... to the point of -why bother- ... except and unless I just had extra time and money on my hands and was bored to death. i.e. I somewhat modified the operation of my central air/furnace system. But to gain more energy savings it'd be necessary for me to take additional actions which would necessitate additional expenditures for added devices ... not worth it considering the age of the system. I'd never get a payback that'd cover costs and time. So instead, I'll wait until I consider it necessary and have the system replaced, and then I'll insist upon certain energy savings features.

And frankly, as a simple homeowner, even tho I could do it, implement it myself, I have no interest in or use for the ability to remotely be able to turn stuff off and on, adjust schedules or temps, etc. It'd be something useful to me ONLY for showing off to and impressing friends. It's not something I'd actually DO often enough to justify ANY level of added expense. I know, have played with such schemes years ago. Just didn't use the ability often enough to even bother to remember the passwords or take the time. Next time I did a mod, just removed that ability as being useless. I do setbacks and such, but haven't changed that scheduling in years. The only alterations to it made are if we wake up in the middle of the night, and temp is set back and we feel too cool ... one of us hits the override button ... located so it's only a few steps from where we'd be anyway.

Heck, we haven't touched the actual normal heating and cooling set points in years.

Just some thoughts.
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

Good grief another useless certification hanging on the wall, They had some great guys working on the product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast