Question NEW TRANE AIR HANDLER LEAKING AIR FROM FRONT OF UNIT

Has anyone else had a problem with a new 3T Trane air handler leaking air from the front of the unit right around where the little clear window is? An inspector from the power company came out to make sure installation was correct so the company could apply for the gov't rebates and he pointed this problem out to me. I just want to know if this is a known problem in the industry before I contact the company that sold it to me. Thanks for your feedback.

If you can take pictures and show us where its leaking. I have done a quality audit on the ones we install like that. I have noticed that they do leak a little.

the new tams leak like a sieve put some mastic tape on it

Its been explained to us by our Trane field reps that the air seeping from the cabinets is a matter of velocity and not volume. So the volume of air is much smaller than perceived. Since the majority of the unit is under positive pressure its easier to feel small leaks in the cabinet.

I would tend to believe that and I think any effect on the overall performance is negligible. There are better ways of sealing them then putting tape on the outside. A little additional gasketing around the control entry is a quick fix that doesn't look like crap.

I expect to see some changes in the materials used in these units to improve them, but I still think its the best airhandler design on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Its been explained to us by our Trane field reps that the air seeping from the cabinets is a matter of velocity and not volume. So the volume of air is much smaller than perceived. Since the majority of the unit is under positive pressure its easier to feel small leaks in the cabinet.

I would tend to believe that and I think any effect on the overall performance is negligible. There are better ways of sealing them then putting tape on the outside. A little additional gasketing around the control entry is a quick fix that doesn't look like crap.

I expect to see some changes in the materials used in these units to improve them, but I still think its the best airhandler design on the market.
    it might be ok once the flaws are worked out

Thank you all very much for your replies and information. I will be contacting the installer as I do not want to do anything that could possibly void the warranty. If there is a fix, I would rather it be done by a professional. I checked it again today, and it seems as though even more cold air is escaping than the first time I was made aware of the problem, so I definitely need to have it looked at right away. Thanks again guys.

Trane Air Handler Leaking Cold Air From Front Clear Window

Crispin, I took some pictures this afternoon and they are attached. I hope they are what you needed. Please see my reply to the last message in this string, and again, Thank you for your quick reply. Please let me know if there is more you would like me to do for your research.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-26-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calihvacguy View Post
    this is definitely a design flaw.
    No this one is an installer issue. Trane says that the thermostat wire bundle(big brown wire with 5-8 smaller wires inside) should not be going through the door, The door is so tight it is supposed to have each individual wire seperated and going through otherwise the door will bow just enough to let a small amount of air out. As mentioned it is velocity vs volume and because the TAM air handlers are a positive pressure vs all other air handlers being a negative pressure you notice leaks much more than before. I personally would not worry because its really really small leak, but they can fix it by spreading all the small wires flat across the entrance to the door.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

calihvacguy

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.