Rheem Package Heat Pump won't cool - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would not except Rheem taking that long we install Rheem and have never waited more than 2 days you contractor is dragging his feet or does not have a very good relationship with the Rheem tech. Have they pulled a capacity on the unit to see what it is putting out Rheem had alot of trouble with TXV and have seen them be bad 2 times in a row need to make sure they are using a sporlan valve been there done that

Quote Originally Posted by eddie27970 View Post
    MM#7, just walked in from cutting grass, and you cheered me up with a good laugh. You would never, in a million years, guess all the troubles I've had with new A/C systems. It took 2 and 1/2 years for this same installer company to get the ductless mini splits at my house straightened out! First was ComfortStar (Chinese wanna bes) and next is LG (Supposed to be almost top of the line), and just had to wait a month for LG to ship out parts to fix one of the indoor air handlers that was only 4 months old when circuit board went. This Rheem problem is at my rental house. But, yea, they are Big, and hopefully will do the right thing.

But, MM#7, let me ask you this? Rheem's warranty is one year parts and labor, and then 10 years parts. I did not know the A/C was not cooling till after I had to evict the previous renters. It was installed Nov. 09. But, I'm saying it was not working right from day-one. The first winter, the heat pump seemed really high in electric bill. But everyone else had high bills also. So, didn't go any further. This past winter would make the second one, and the bills seemed super high again. Not till this second summer did I check the temperature of the A/C and called in the problem. The fact that it is not any other repairable fix shows it had to have been messed up from install.

So, I ask, who will be paying the labor charges for all the service calls the installer, Mike, has had to make, and yet, nothing is fixed? I've not asked the installer company about this, yet. And actually they've only sent one bill that they told me to not worry about (the first trip when everything was checked and Mike determind he needed to contact Rheem Field Tech for help. ...billed me $375 for his 4 hours and travel.) Later, when he went to put in expansion valve, said to not worry about this $375, that I'd get another bill for $600-something after the new valve goes in. Well, the valve did not fix it, and they have not sent the bill either.

Who is going to pay for all this work they have done, to not have it fixed yet?
    interesting developement, the way you were talking, we all thought this was a brand new install! hmmm. very interesting! as far as LG, wasn't that gold star, years ago? gold star as in korean junk, that's my opinion, on mini splits
    i like fujitsu,mitsu,and sanyo! comfort star, chinese junkola imho, i put them up there with haier,and fedders which i think is/has major issues$$$$$$.
    see what the installer says, i'm not there, your the boots on the ground!

lynn comstock, sounds like you may have the right idea to try. I've put in a call to the secretary of the HVAC office, to ask for Mike to call me. His caller ID is restricted. I hope he, and those he works for, goes along with giving me those readings. If I tell them it is so I can post them on here, I wonder how they are going to take that? Sometimes he calls and sometimes he dosen't. I will call the secretary again in a day or so.

Invite them to read the thread. Clearly they are missing something and our advice is either cheap or priceless. They want the problem resolved so that you end up happy. Some problems are very challenging.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Eddie27970: Please put your location in your profile. If your handle is your zip code, I have a name and number of the local Rheem distributor who will probably be able to help (at least better than the responses you have been getting so far). You say the equipment was installed in November. What year was that - 2009 or 2010 (there's only been 1 winter since 2010)?

Sorry I haven't kept up with this. Had extended family for extended stay. Plus, after 3-phone calls to have Mike call me back, he has finally done so.

First, MM#7, I probably confused you. This Rheem is a new install, at my rental house. The mini split problems I had, form the same HVAC installer, is at the house where I live, which is a 100-year old farm house, about to get blown away by Hurricane Irene.

OK, my rental house is in Edenton, NC. The installer is out of Elizabeth City, NC. And, yes, when I finally talked to Mike Wed. evening, I told him of this website and you guys wanting to see that field service report pressure readings for Rheem.

Sktn77a, I have wondered, and wondered why it seems like it takes 2-weeks at a time to get infro back from Rheem Field Tech? ....or, rather, at least that is the way the installer makes it look. I too, saw a sign for a different Rheem installer and wrote down info in case it leads to me going elsewhere for help.

According to Mike, the installer repairman, this coming Tuesday, 8/30/11, the Rheem Field Tech is going to go with Mike to my rental house to look at this Rheem heat pump package unit that will not cool the air no more than 13-degrees below the intake air.

I asked Mike to tell me when they will be there so that I can get off work and be there also. And I asked Mike for a copy of those pressure readings so I can show them here.

MM#7, I told Mike what you said about one half the evap coil being partially clogged. He paused a second and said, "That's possible, but we will know more Tuesday."

Let me ask, if the A/C isn't properly dropping the cooled air, then does it also stand to say the heat pump part is not properly heating the air on cool days?

I hope I get to express my dissatisfaction with this particular Rheem to the Field Tech and push for a new one, or sh*tcan the whole thing, and go for different brand from better installer, and tell this Rheem Tech I will then dedicate the rest of my life to "bad comments" on Internet about Rheem.

There still hasn't been any talk on who will pay the labor on all these service calls to my rental house, that have not fixed anything yet.

Charlesw65, oh yea, when I first complained about this Rheem not cooling like it should, back in June when it was about 94 outside, unit had been on all day long, without anyone living in rental at that time, inside thermostat was on 72, but inside air was 78, the installer people at main office I talk to, all said something about Rheem having trouble with their expansion valves. But before they could change it, they had to contact the Rheem Field Tech, who then asked for this field service report, and then said to change the valve and filter. But this did not change the problem.

This report, checked couple times now, is saying, with outside air at 89, cooled air is only 13 degrees below intake air, measured close to the package unit.

Problem Found, finally.

Well, Rheem "finally" came thru, and found the problem. And, MM#7, you get the prize! Two Rheem Techs came from Richmond, VA to my rental house in Edenton, NC (maybe 4 or 5 hour drive, one-way). Disconnected the blower, and watched the frost on the 4 sections of the evaporator coils. After a while, it became obvious that only 2 of the coils developed frost, while the other 2 did not, meaning 2 coils are clogged.

One of the Rheem Techs, who comes this site, went on to say he wants to make things right and will cover the labor involved in repairs, also. Great news to me! This all happened about week and half ago. No more news since then.

The installer tech said he'd disconnected the blower, also, earlier, but only waited 10 to 15 minutes, and it seemed all 4 coils frosted the same. The Rheem Techs waited about 30 minutes, which made a big difference in seeing the frost.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie27970 View Post
    ... And, MM#7, you get the prize! Two Rheem Techs came from Richmond, VA ... Disconnected the blower, and watched the frost on the 4 sections of the evaporator coils. After a while, it became obvious that only 2 of the coils developed frost, while the other 2 did not, meaning 2 coils are clogged...
    Can I claim a prize too? Post 13.
    Mark Twain

Lynn Comstock, Yes, you should be the one getting the Big Prize! You're the one who said part of the evap coil might be clogged. I messed up when thinking it was MM#7 that said this. Sorry. You was right!

I told the Rheem Factory Tech about this site, and all the posts here. He said he used to be involved here. Didn't want his real name put on, but his nickname here is "docholiday." I looked him up on here, and he's not entered a post in about 2 years, or so.

Now I'm trying to get back in touch with him. Only phone number they gave me was to the Distributor Tech Support guy. I called him yesterday, and he said he'd try to get a hold of the Rheem Factory Tech and have him call me back. No call back yet.

My question now is, all the labor charges for the service work done ....that did not fix anything. First was $300-something for adding a bit of freon and checking for leaks. Then came the Field Service Report. Then I was told to not worry about the $300, because now it'll be $600-something to change the expansion valve. I still have the phone message telling me this did not fix the problem, the installer tech said, and that he's asking for more tech support from the manufacturer. When the Factory Tech came to look at it, and found the clogged evap, he said he'd take care of the labor for this. ....But I did not ask, and specify, does this mean all the previous labor involved that did not fix the problem? Should I have to pay labor for service that did not work?

Hey you guys, should I start a new thread on this labor charges question? You-all are professionals, in the business, right? So, if you go on a service call and do some work, but this work does not fix the problem, do you still charge for this work? I sort of compare this to taking my car in to have it fixed. The mechanic thinks it is this, that, and the other. So he does this, that, and the other, but the car still does not run. Do I pay the mechanic for not fixing the car?

It appears that you are paying only one bill. It happens to be for work that did not fix the problem. The work that does fix the problem is being covered by the manufacturer. I would say that you are being treated fairly. However I understand the pain.

The good news is that this should be the end of the problem. Many are not so lucky. See current thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=910162
    Mark Twain

Glad to hear you got the problem found and fixed. Rheem has been known to junk up coils and TXVs... Its the kryptonite to their Wonder Woman or something...

As for charges, If I do a repair and it does not fix the problem (this is all hypothetical, cause that never has happened, right?) I would work with the customer to make sure it is right. If the wrong repair is cheaper than the right repair I would deduct the cost of the wrong repair off the right repair. If the right repair cost less than the wrong repair I would grit my teeth and pull out my wallet. Treating customers right and being honest is more important than making a profit on one single service job. Lose on the job, win a customer vs. win on a job and lose a customer... Easy call..

BTW it is just better to correctly diagnose the problem in the first case. In the techs defense it sounds like a tricky diagnosis and I could see how someone could mistakenly identify the problem as a TXV... Reasonable conclusion, just a wrong one.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast