Trane System Comparisons

My family is in the process of replacing our 15 year-old two-zone Trane HVAC system and would appreciate advise. We have received two proposals from different Trane Contractors; however I am at a loss when attempting to compare the difference in the equipment suggested.

Contractor 1
    • Zone One
    • Trane Model: 4TTX6048E1 - XL16i - 4 ton condenser (2 - stage compressor).
    • Trane Model: 4TXCC049BC3 evaporator coil.
    • Trane Model: TUD2C080A9V4 - XV80 - 80% 2 stage/variable speed gas furnace.
    • Trane XL802 programmable touch-screen thermostat.

Zone Two
    • Trane Model: 4TTX6036E1 - XL16i - 3 ton condenser (2 - stage compressor).
    • Trane Model: 4TXCB036BC3 - evaporator coil.
    • Trane Model: TUD2B060A9V3 - XV80 - 80% 2 stage/variable speed gas furnace.
    • Trane XL802 programmable touch-screen thermostat.

Contractor 2
    • Zone One
    • Trane model: 4TTX6048E1 4 ton XL16i 2 stage condenser
    • Trane model: ACE60E44 R-410A evaporator coil
    • Trane model: TUD2B080A9V3 Variable speed 2 stage gas furnace
    • Trane model: TCONT950 Programmable thermostat

Zone Two
    • Trane model: 4TTX6036E1 3 ton XL16i 2 stage condenser
    • Trane model: ACE48G44 R-410A evaporator coil
    • Trane model: TUD2B080A9V3 Variable speed 2 stage gas furnace
    • Trane model: TCONT950 Programmable thermostat

Any thoughts on the merits or issues with these system recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

How about a combo of the 2?

I'd rather have the 950 control or a Vision Pro IAQ.

I'd much rather have a Trane coil like #1 is quoting than the Aspen coil from #2. Never really cared for them.

i would also want the trane all aluminum coil , also what part of the country do you live in and how much is your natural gas

Catmanacman and BaldLoonie -

Thank you for your thoughts. By way of the area of the country, we live just outside of Washington DC in suburban Maryland. Our gas-service is through Washington Gas and the cost for gas is as follows:

• Distribution Charges - First 45 therms or less per month $ 0.3527 per therm
    • Distribution Charges - Next 135 therms per month $ 0.2507 per therm
    • Natural Gas Supply Service - $ 0.7440 per therm
    • Montgomery County Surcharge - $ 0.1175003 per therm

or a total cost of $1.4649 per therm. Above the per-therm fees, there is a System Charge of $10.20.

Is the Trane Model 4TXCC049BC3 evaporator coil listed within the Contractor 1 proposal the trane all aluminum coil you were referring to in your comment Catmanacman? Are there any other suggestions or improvements on the choice of equipment that you may suggest?

Lastly, by way of the thermostat, both proposals actually include the Trane model TCONT950 Programmable thermostat, however it is listed elsewhere within the proposal and I did not initially include within the list of equipment.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Bill

my advice would be to go with a 95 percent furnace like the the xc95 or xv 95 i like the xc 95 for the 16i

Is the Trane Model 4TXCC049BC3 evaporator coil listed within the Contractor 1 proposal the trane all aluminum coil you were referring to in your comment Catmanacman? Any sense at to the time it would take for getting a payback on the incremental cost of the xc95?

Quote Originally Posted by whunter31 View Post
    Is the Trane Model 4TXCC049BC3 evaporator coil listed within the Contractor 1 proposal the trane all aluminum coil you were referring to in your comment Catmanacman? Any sense at to the time it would take for getting a payback on the incremental cost of the xc95?
    they burn 15% less gas for the same btus all the trane coils are all aluminum

Upsizing coils

It also look like contractor #2, in addition to using Aspen coils, is upsizing each coil by a ton. So first system is 4 ton outdoor with 5 ton coil. 2nd system is 3 ton outdoor with 4 ton coil. The pros here I'm sure will start a debate about coil upsizing and humidity removal.....I'm just a HO (sounds like street walker) so I can't participate.
    Last edited by wraujr; 08-14-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Removed bad word

I think you figured your gas rates high. I figured your cost per therm with fees is $1.297 based on 80 therms of gas. Higher if you use less therms and less if you use more. Your overall rate is pretty comparable to mine at $1.21 for 80 therms.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

Would anyone know the difference between the Trane XV80 model #TUD2C080A9V4 and the model #TUD2B080A9V3?

First one is 21" wide with max 4 ton blower, 2nd is 17.5" wide with max 3 ton.