Thread: lennox TXV

Hmm lennox TXV

Does anyone here think it is strange that lennox only has four different TXV's.
    Two for ac and two for heat pump. 1-3 & 3.5 - 5

They have adjustable ones in the catalog also if you prefer.

been that way for years, we never had any issues with them.

Allied is the same way. But ADP calls for 3, H4TXV01, 02, 03

I had to adjust the TXV on a new install last week. It was a XP14-036/CBX27UH-036 system. With the correct SC, the SH was in the mid 20's. Did a pump down, removed the bottom cap and opened the adjustment about 1-1/4 turns. Pulled a vacuum and restarted. SH was mid teens where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lee View Post
    I had to adjust the TXV on a new install last week. It was a XP14-036/CBX27UH-036 system. With the correct SC, the SH was in the mid 20's. Did a pump down, removed the bottom cap and opened the adjustment about 1-1/4 turns. Pulled a vacuum and restarted. SH was mid teens where it should be.
    You dont have to pull charge or pump down to adjust a TXV.

you do with Lennox's terrible pink txv's with the rounded cap on the bottom. If you take the cap off you lose all the gas because the adjustment takes a hex key but the hole goes through the adjustor plate and the other side is open to refrigerant. Its a terrible design and after the first time I adjusted one only to find that I hadn't adjusted it enough, I've always just replaced the valve with a proper adjustable Sporlan valve when they go out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by seascott View Post
    you do with Lennox's terrible pink txv's with the rounded cap on the bottom. If you take the cap off you lose all the gas because the adjustment takes a hex key but the hole goes through the adjustor plate and the other side is open to refrigerant. Its a terrible design and after the first time I adjusted one only to find that I hadn't adjusted it enough, I've always just replaced the valve with a proper adjustable Sporlan valve when they go out of whack.
    Bingo!

Had four that were running high twenties during our last heat freak of 110 degrees plus.

...noticed that the last few boxes said China on 'em...

Hello Sporlan.
    Here's your sign...

Worse still Lennox makes valves that look exactly the same but all that you find when you take off the cap is a spring with an operator cap on it. You can get a replacement from Lennox for less than I have ever paid for any txv and they work fine when you braze them in but for a little more money why not get a valve that you can adjust in the future if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by seascott View Post
    Worse still Lennox makes valves that look exactly the same but all that you find when you take off the cap is a spring with an operator cap on it. You can get a replacement from Lennox for less than I have ever paid for any txv and they work fine when you braze them in but for a little more money why not get a valve that you can adjust in the future if need be.
    It's why I like my Sporlan wrench. I think it's beyond stupid having to pump a system down to adjust a txv.
    Here's your sign...