existing old jace 2

i am quoting a sports center expansion job which has got a jace 2. i think the jace version is before3.4. can i still use this jace and also keep the statio? i can get the station access.i currently use jci workbench 3.5.and i think the existing jace has a open lon driver
    leo

V3.3 will communicate fine with 3.5. What 'brand' is the existing JACE ?

Do a backup and station copy and have a good snoop around.
    You can mostly use 3.5 Workbench but sometimes strange behaviour can occur.
    Better that you dont upgrade without understanding the ramifications regarding vendor drivers and their licenses (if any)

Best that you use the preferred vendor tool if it isnt generic Workbench ... ie if it is JCI FX then use the FX Workbench at the correct version level for any changes. ... the hard part will be getting your hands on it in the first place. If the site has AX Supervisor installed then it is probably at the correct version . Simply use that.

If there are vendor specific drivers such as FX or Spyder that lock you into their 'brand' then you may need to talk to them (good luck with that!)
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Thanks a lot for your advice, Matrix

The existing Jace is from Vykon. The DDCs are TAC Invensys. There is no supervisor on site.

As it is an expansion job, it will be less hassel to just add new equipments to the existing graphic. Vykon uses open drive if I am not wrong, so I can use JCI's FX workbench.

Leo

yeah, check the license

<feature name="brand" accept.station.in="*" accept.station.out="*" accept.wb.out="*" brandId="vykon" accept.wb.in="*"/>

sounds like FX Workbench will work fine.

I recommend loading an older FX Workbench version if you're gonna do any heavy lifting with the old JACE ... just in case.

Thanks matrix.

What worries me is that if I got the job, but I cannot access the station, I will be screwed, cause my quote will be based the existing station, not redo the whole thing.
    I may have to prepare a backup plan.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by leoxxl View Post
    i am quoting a sports center expansion job which has got a jace 2. i think the jace version is before3.4. can i still use this jace and also keep the statio? i can get the station access.i currently use jci workbench 3.5.and i think the existing jace has a open lon driver
    leo
    I wouldn't worry about access to the existing station. You can go "Shell Mode" to get access to the platform and copy the station and there are a few tricks to get access to the station from there. Its really nothing time consuming.

Thanks for the information

I know I can use serial shell mode to reset the platform password.is there any way to get into the station without knowing the station login?

Leo

just copy it to your workbench and open it offline.

after adding yr password you can send it back.

Thanks for the tips Matrix.
    I think I need to get a Demo license then?

Leo

... i currently use jci workbench 3.5 ...
    Use yr Workbench.
    If it didnt have a lic, then it wouldnt even run... so you must have a lic.

get the IP address of the JACE
    Put your Workbench IP address in the same range.
    Plug into Jace .
    Workbench ->File->Open->Open Station(fox)

Thanks again, Matrix

I am pretty sure my workbench does NOT have demo license. I can log into the platform but it wont run any station. I dont know what kind of license JCI provided.

The existing network is LON. There are a few of new equipments I will have to use JCI's LON FX DDC. Also there are some units with their own LON interface. My plan is that . leave the old graphics and points alone, add new points into Niagara points, and program, do the graphics.

Now the problem comes, I cannot get JCI's LON commission tool running on my PC, which worries me whether JCI's LON FX is gonna work.
    Frankly, JCI's FX builder really sucks, you cannot copy and paste your program, and they are not interchangable between different controllers, with a extremely stupid simulation plug-in.

I think the old JACE has its LON license, will it have problems in find all JCI points(I saw some old threads who had this problem).

Leo

I dont know what kind of license JCI provided.
    view License = Platform -> License Manager
    If you can start the Platform, then I will lay odds that you can build a station.
    If you can run the Platform, then you should be able to open a local Station ( on your PC) , or a remote Station ( on a JACE or remote Workbench)

JCI's FX builder really sucks, you cannot copy and paste your program, and they are not interchangable between different controllers, with a extremely stupid simulation plug-in.
    ...Im hearing ya ... why the ABCS program cannot prosper? because JCI dump their rubbish in it.

I think the old JACE has its LON license
    Jace handles LON just fine. It will manage the subnet, bindings, everything
    Look at Distech.