Question

Looking for suggestions.

My daughter & son-in-law just bought his grandmother's 20 year old house. It has a Fedders rooftop a/c unit that also has a gas pipe connected to it. They tell me grandma had it "completely" rebuilt a few years ago. It runs, but it still does a poor job of both heating and cooling.

Today I plan to climb up on the roof and into the attic looking for problems. I'll be looking for dirty air filters and leaking air ducts.

What else should I consider?

Would they be better off to replace it with a ground mounted condenser than to keep throwing money at this rooftop unit?

trash that clunker. they were junk when new.

Is Fedders a brand to avoid? Reading this forum I see references to every other brand of a/c but not Fedders. Apparently they are still in business.

from what i know they went out of business 20 yrs ago but recently the name was reincarnated by another company.

Fedders was not junk, they had some problems after they bought the General Electric rotory compressor and it was there down fall. They were good well made units back in the 70's. I started out on Fedders and there are alot of the ones I installed still running after 30+ years.

As to your question about changing to split system, and getting rid of package unit, yes you will better comfort and lower cost of operation with split.

we sold fedders for 2 years back in the 70s. they were the biggest P O S going. their rotary compressors SUCKED big time.

I dont remember the rotery being used in the roof tops.But had many a bad day with the adaptomatic unit .

Actually Fedders never left. Just stopped making bigger stuff other than window shakers. Came back recently after purchasing Eubank and building a factory in PRC.

GET RID OF THAT OLD LUNKER 20 YRS ITS TIME FOR ANEW ONE ANY WAY AND IM KINDA WONDERING WHAT YOU MEAN BY REBUILT? NEW HEAT EXCHANGERS OR NEW COMPRESSOR EITHER WAY IT DOESNT MAKE THAT OLD DOG ANY MORE EFFICIENT YOULL SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN ON ENERGY AND REPAIR COST

We really don't know exactly what grandma had done to the unit. Whatever it was, it was obviously a waste of money.