Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox heat pump and thermostat

I was told that I needed to buy a lennox thermostat for a lennox heat pump but can't I use a honeywell that works on heat pumps? Also the reason I need a new thermostat is because the first lennox thermostat started smoking doesn't seem to me that it would just be the thermostat is bad shouldn't they check something else to see why the thermostat was smoking in the first place... Thanks in advance

Something is

definitely wrong. You need a qualified service tech to look at your system.

Sounds like someone miswired the system or the transformer is putting out more than 30v.

The higher end honeywells can operate heatpumps.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Sounds like someone miswired the system or the transformer is putting out more than 30v.

The higher end honeywells can operate heatpumps.

thanks thats what i figured

So just to be clear as long as the Honeywell thermostat says it will work with heatpumps it will work with Lennox Heatpumps?

120vac + 24vac thermostat = Smoke

I hope the company that installed your system is insured.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Most lennox heatpumps utilize standard control signals - nothing fancy.

For a heatpump with aux heat, you need a 2-heat/2cool stat.

For a 2-stage heatpump with aux heat, you need a 3-heat/2-cool stat.

For dual fuel, you need a specialized t-stat - honeywell makes a few dual fuel models.

Your contractor should be able to select the correct model.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

thanks everyone for the input... fyi this is not my system I was just talking to a friend who was having trouble and from what they told me that the contractor told them it just didn't make sence to me I am very new to the industry so I thought i'd ask around before I told them their contractor is no good... still going to ask the seinior techs at my work on monday(we are a lennox dealer) before I talk to my friends again but I think who ever they are using don't know what they are doing... Thanks again for all the help

Ask your friend how old the thermostat is. Warranty is 5 years on them.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Ask your friend how old the thermostat is. Warranty is 5 years on them.

they told me everything is out of warranty? even if it was only a couple years old if a bad transformer is the problem warranty wouldn't cover that anyway would it???

Depends. Say a mouse shorted 24v and 240v at the contactor or customer doesn't change the filter and the ice ball coil ends up shorting out the furnace control board then that's not a defective componet so the damage would not be a warranty claim. A defective part takes out a thermostat or the stat just up and dies then they're covered.

Quote Originally Posted by RobFarns View Post
    thanks everyone for the input... I am very new to the industry so I thought i'd ask around before I told them their contractor is no good... still going to ask the senior techs at my work on monday(we are a lennox dealer)
    Asking the senior tech is a good idea.... Especially since you are a Lennox dealer.
    Welcome to this site, you will learn much here...

are you working for Ashland Comfort Control, or Welsh Plumbing and Heating Supply?

Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    are you working for Ashland Comfort Control, or Welsh Plumbing and Heating Supply?

I don't work in Ashland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast