Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If I had a standard T-stat connected to my single stage furnace prior to the installation of the Evolution furnace, is it much work to install the Evolution controller (i.e.do they have to run any new lines between the Evolution control and the new furnace)?

I'm in the process of getting a $ from my contractor for how much it will cost to upgrade from the standard t-stat he planned on setting me up with as opposed to the Evolution controller. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

Most communicating t-stats don't need more than 4 wires (I think carrier has one which only needs 2).

It's a digital connection; if an analog stat existed for carriers 3-stage unit, it would probably require 8-10 wires for full functionality.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

I'm not sure for what features and benefits you are shopping but here's what the User Interface does.

1. Controls furnace staging.
    2. Senses temperatures in 1/100th of a degree increments.
    3. Tracks the trends of the room temperature to predict staging needs.
    4. Has intelligent recovery for set-back programs.
    5. Has variable blower controls, homeowner selectable speeds for standard, economy or comfort.
    6. Has independent humidity control to fire the blower and humidifier independent of calls for heat.
    7. Identifies the furnace model number (also serial number) to which it's connected and adjusts the min/max blower speeds accordingly.
    8. Allows for input of non-Evolution equipment information (such as your AC unit) so that blower speeds will be properly set.
    9. Tracks all run times including tracking each furnace stage independently.
    10. Reports on current furnace status.
    11. Reports on current outdoor temperature.
    12. Reports on current indoor temperature.
    13. Reports on current indoor humidity.
    14. Reports on current total static pressure.
    15. Reports on AC status.
    16. Reports on equipment faults (resettable)
    17. Reports on equipment malfunctions (non-resettable)
    18. Recall last 10 events.
    19. Display color can be chosen.
    20. Provides the installing companies emergency contact info.
    21. Allows for programmable or non-programmable operation.
    22. Allows for temporary program overrides.
    23. Allows for vacation mode so you can return home to pre-vacation comfort.
    24. Reports accessory items maintenance times interval expiration times.
    25. Allows setting of custom humidification parameters.
    26. Allows for temperature offsets.
    27. Allows for automatic change-over between heating/cooling.

I'm sure I've omitted a few things but that's the gist of it. I'd say it's worth every penny of the cost but that's JMO.

Thanks a lot for the info.! My installer quoted me an installed price of about what you would find if you purchased an Evolution controller online so I decided to go for it.. Everything should be installed on Friday...

C

Since I don't have an Evolution AC unit, will I need to add my own outdoor temp. sensor to get the outdoor temp on the Evolution control? Easy enough for me to do? Seems like it is just plugging in a sensor into the furnace control board and routing outside the house....?

This is the sensor I'm thinking of: http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...g-tstat-10.pdf

Thanks
    C

Sensor comes with stat. Put in shaded area.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

I had 2 Infinity furnaces (with Carrier Performance Heat Pumps) installed back in March. Both units have Carrier Edge thermostats with 2 stages of gas heat (or Heat pump when above 25 degrees) set up.

Sounds like the Infinity controller would offer much more control. The HVAC company we used did not have much info on the Infinity Stats at the time.

What would need to be done for me to have my system converted to use a communicating stat? I assume I would need to have the 4 connection ABCD blocks installed and the low voltage wiring changed over as appropriate for the Infinity furnaces to talk to the Performance Heat Pump units. Then I would need the Infinity Stats to be connected accordingly?

Can our HVAC company readily get the green 4 connection ABCD blocks or is this something that would have had to have been ordered with the furnace?

We have a BGE energy switch on our Heat Pumps. Currently it cuts power to the compressor when BGE needs to cycle power during high demand. Is there a way for them to do something similar if we switched over to using the communicating ABCD systems?

"We have a BGE energy switch on our Heat Pumps. Currently it cuts power to the compressor when BGE needs to cycle power during high demand. Is there a way for them to do something similar if we switched over to using the communicating ABCD systems? "

Why would you want that? Does the utility give you a lower rate in exchange for letting them control your heatpumps?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Yes - they offer us $75 a month for 4 months each year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12