Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Other 3-Stage Thermostat with Evolution Furnace (only)

My other thread is kinda getting hijacked so I thought I'd start a new one.

Looks like I'll be getting a 355CAV Evolution furnace. I do NOT have an Evolution air conditioner. I'd prefer not to blow $ on an Evolution T-Stat if I can spend a lot less on a different brand 3-Stage T-Stat.

Will I be missing out on anything major if I buy a <Links to direct purchase sites are not allowed> 3-stage T-Stat instead of the Evolution control? If so, what?
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-13-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: removed price and link to direct purchase site

Get the evolution control and Take control of that Great furnace.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

The ONLY thing you lose with a non-compatible outdoor unit is diagnostics.

What you gain is complete control over the furnace with many options for comfort/efficiency even using a non-compatible OD unit. the only requirement for having a control is the indoor unit.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

The Honeywell FocusPro 6000 can only control three stages of heat when used for a 2-stage heatpump with electric backup.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

So the Evolution is the only option to achieve my goal?

"I'm buying a Mercedes Benz, but I really don't want to pay for power windows or heated seats..."

When I got into the business I sold my girlfriend an infinity. I didn't know about communicating controls and nobody hipped me to how important it was.

Once I learned, it became abundantly clear what a ignorant mistake not having this critical piece of equipment was, so I bought her the control. Turns a nice furnace into an amazing system.

Ignorance is not knowing better. Stupid is knowing better. None of my subsequent clients have even been given the option not to get the control. Shame on your salesperson.

Btw, now you can't claim ignorance. Now cheap can only = stupid.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

I'm fine with getting an Evolution controller if it will do me a lot of good, even though I don't have the Evolution AC unit.

Can someone explain all the amazing things it can do for me even with only an Evolution furnace and a standard Bryant AC unit hooked to it?

Thanks,
    Clocker

Any other thermostat = analog
    Evolution = digital

You control all furnace functions from the controller

That means burner stage and blower speed? Anything else I could or would want to be able to control?

Thanks!!

I've been looking at other 3-stage thermostats, I have not found one that does fan speed yet. That seems to be a differentiating factor of the Evolution.

What are the diagnostics that are available with the Evolution?

Thanks!!

the evolution will also due humidity control by slowing the blower and if you add a humidifier it will control that also

On the 355CAV furnace control board there is no "W3" terminal to hook up a 3rd stage from the thermostat. You can get the 3 stage operation from either the Evolution controller or from a single stage thermostat (with the correct dipswitch settings). You can use a 2 stage stat to get either low-high or medium-high staging. If you're going to spend the money on a 95% AFUE, 3 stage furnace I'd suggest getting the thermostat that makes it work best.

Thank you for that powerful bit of information!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast