silphosing lines

silphosing lines

Anybody got a rule of thumb for setting nitrogen pressure in a line set when you are silphosing connections for 410A? Does anyone use a metering device with your gauges?

Pressure isn't really required for this.

What you need is flow. Not a lot of flow, just enough to displace the oxygen in the lines.

Thanks, that is basically what i have been doing and wondered if that was right. I used silver solder for years on R22 systems. Still trying to get the hang of silphosing, but I am getting better at it.

Pressure in the lines will actually cause you trouble as it can cause the solder to blow out of the joint.

The tiniest amount of flow is all that is really needed.

Name:  flow meter.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  8.7 KB

Harry, I use this flow meter. Works great. No more blow outs and easy to use.

Sure you can find it in various supply houses but I got mine @ Johnstone supply. It will run you around 40$
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

thanks, I will look for one.

Quote Originally Posted by luskys a/c View Post
    Name:  flow meter.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  8.7 KB

Harry, I use this flow meter. Works great. No more blow outs and easy to use.

Sure you can find it in various supply houses but I got mine @ Johnstone supply. It will run you around 40$
    The one from Johnstone is handy because it attaches to a regulator with just the 1/4" flare connection...makes it easy to go from flowing to pressure testing.
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."

I just barely crack the valve on the bottle, reg hardly ever gets moved off 250. Valve cores removed and just a slight flow of nitro is all you need.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    I just barely crack the valve on the bottle, reg hardly ever gets moved off 250. Valve cores removed and just a slight flow of nitro is all you need.
    The use of a flow meter will reduce the amount of nitro that you use.
    Local 449?

Harry. Apply for pro membership. Lots of info in the pro forums, that you can't access as a regular guest.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Twilly says the secret stuff awaits you
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

We just got a brand new regulator....

And the thing won't stay flowing.... sort of frustrating when you go to check it one more time "to be sure" and there is nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    And the thing won't stay flowing.... sort of frustrating when you go to check it one more time "to be sure" and there is nothing....
    Regulator or flowmeter? As said above, the flowmeter just needs to be set to have the ball just off the bottom...more than that is a waste and it will make it harder to braze.

If your using a regulator and trying to just flow, it's tough to get them to flow just a small amount.
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."