Question

Please help. I am looking to get a 2.5 ton HVAC. I thought I was getting a comfortair, but I got a goodman. I am being told they are the same thing - just different brand names. however the goodman seems a bit loud.

I am in the dark on this and could really use some guidance. i have never heard of goodman - any thoughts

I can't find Comfortair and am not familiar with that brand. It may be a private label for Goodman.

What models of equipment do you have? What is it that is loud? Have you asked these questions of the company that installed the equipment?

Basically, we don't yet know what you are talking about.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Comfortaire has been around forever, part of Heat Controller. They don't make residential anymore. Outdoor units are Fedders, indoor are Rheem. What model #s did you get in the Goodman product? CKL outdoor units tend to be noisy. Often furnace noise has to do with size of furnace & duct system. So be more specific as to what is noisy.

I just put in a Goodman 3 ton furnace for a customer that requested it (GMP-075-3) I was very impressed with that furnace. If you have the GMP furnace installed, then you have a good reliable furnace. The one I put in was very quiet. I could hear the burners, but this was in a attic so downstairs I couldnt even tell it was on. It might be a bit noisy for a closet, but any open burner furnace would be.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Where did you get that relic? Better check the heat exchanger in a few years. Already found 2 in the last week with open crimp rings

There are no problems with the GMP075-3 as long as there are no overheating issues due to poor ducting or oversized equipment. There are thousands of GMP070-3's as well as other GMP sizes still burning along in comfy homes. They simply did not do well under adverse overheating conditions.

That said; that furnace is a bit long in the tooth. Since the GMP was made, the GMT has come and gone and has now been replaced with the GMS8 series.

The bottom line is we don't even know what is loud.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Where did you get that relic?
    sorry I mispoke. We were taking out a GMP075-3 that was struck by lightning the other day in a bad storm. The customer liked the unit & asked us to put the same thing back in. We put in a GMS80-70-3. On a side note, that was a easy install. Exact same size & vent in the same spot. They had flex duct too.

[Edited by hvac hero on 11-19-2005 at 12:13 PM]
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Now that makes more sense. For an 80% furnace with no bells or whistles, that really is a nice value.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    There are no problems with the GMP075-3 as long as there are no overheating issues due to poor ducting or oversized equipment. There are thousands of GMP070-3's as well as other GMP sizes still burning along in comfy homes. They simply did not do well under adverse overheating conditions.

That said; that furnace is a bit long in the tooth. Since the GMP was made, the GMT has come and gone and has now been replaced with the GMS8 series.

No offense, Robo, but when ever sombody mentions the slightest precievable objection to Goodman you answer with a lot of "as longs..." and "ifs..." when you post answers.

Just an observation.

cheap is cheap. you wanted cheap and you got cheap so theres no differance

We've got 10 times more Bryant/Carrier furnaces around here than Goodman. Most are installed on horrible RNC duct systems, probably used during construction. The only current model heat exchanger I can remember writing a warranty claim on is for one of our installers. Found a crack while installing a new A coil over it.

The last 2 GMPs we found bad we replaced with the new one. Supplier gives us a few peanuts for the heat exchanger.

comfortaire sounds like icp equipment! better go wit the goodman. we have arco aire icp junkers and i said lets upgrade to goodman!

Originally posted by curry
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq

No offense, Robo, but when ever sombody mentions the slightest precievable objection to Goodman you answer with a lot of "as longs..." and "ifs..." when you post answers.

Just an observation.
    You do hava an uncanny grasp of the obvious...maybe you should go into marketing.