Refrigerant Recovery

Assume that the charge in a system is contaminated with Air and water vapor.

When this is evacuated from the system and compressed into the recovery cylinder, what happens to it?

The filter doesn't get the air or most of the vapor and I just want to understand how to put the best quality refrigerant back into the system.

I am using a Promax 5400 series and standard 3 lb cylinder.

Thanks for any feedback.

I recharge with virgin refrigerant. That is the only way you can be sure it is good. It is worth it.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Depends on what type of refrigerant you are using and the degree of contamination.

I've ran refrigerant through multiple driers for clean-up purposes. Air and non condensibles can be eliminated by liquid charging.

For small systems, recharging with virgin is often eaier and cheaper than engaging in extensive clean-up procedures, but try convincing someone with a system containing a thousand pounds that they need 'new' gas

Thanks for the response.

I am just trying to see through all the smoke and mirrors of the refrigerant recovery system manufacturers. They advertise that by using their expensive systems you can actually recover and replace refrigerant.

I guess that they mean you can filter out any particulates then discard air components that don't compress to a liquid. Then install liquid coming from the bottom of the pickup tube in the cylinder.

Wish there was an affordable way to test what you have recovered.

Thanks again