Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payne vs Trane

Payne vs Trane

I've been given 2 quotes on replacement systems

1. Payne PA16NA 16 Seer 13 EER
    2. Trane XR15 15 Seer 12.5 EER

So out of the 2 listed what are the differences? Trane is a bit more expensive by 1.5k more than the payne unit. Both installers seem to know alot about what they were doing so i'm comfortable with both installers and hope they know how to install them. warranties are the same 10 year parts. however the trane installer said that trane offers a 10 year labor warranty is that true? Also trane installer said something about tranes technology actually is designed to cool, while the carrier models mimic it? not sure if i said that right, but what did he mean by that?

with all that being said from a pro perspective is 1.5k the real difference between a lower trane unit compared to a payne unit? or is the difference negligible and the installation is the difference?

the Trane installer gave me a couple quotes this was his middle of the line quote. his low was an XR13 14.5 SEER 12 EER about 1k cheaper than the middle and the best was an XL15i 15 SEER 12.5 EER that was over 1k more than the middle.

Twilly says Payne is Carriers low end stuff. Not bad equipment though.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I will sometimes have new customers ask me what brand of equipment I install.
    My standard answer is, "The brand that offers the best value.".

The design and installation is probably 90% of the important stuff in getting a new system.
    The name on the equipment is far down the list. Heck, I am more concerned with the capacitor manufacturer and the refrigerant filter manufacturer within the system than I am the name on the outside of the unit.

what do you mean by design and installation? We are going to replace our current unit so wouldn't this job just be to swap out the old and put the new one in and connect the appropriate connections? I know it's probably alot more complicated than that, but the guy took a look at most of the ducts and said they looked good. only thing he insisted on was putting in 2 12x12 returns in the adjoining rooms. and i'm wondering if it's necessary since the current unit is working without it? anyways to get around this as i don't think it would look good aesthetically.

By the way we are replacing because our previous unit has a leak somewhere and while the house is cooling, it's not cooling that quickly. For the past 2 years we've had to refill the r22 4lbs worth each time.

When I go look a a replacement, I always do a load calc, just to see what the place is supposed to have.

It is sad, but I assume whoever was there before me did it wrong or did it using a "rule of thumb".

Good thing is, if the person you have thinks it need needs more return, you probably have a good company. Most places have inadequate returns on them.

Just going back with the same "size" equipment is not a good idea. Have trees been grown or cut down around your house? Has design conditions changed? Did the original installer run a Manual J?

I would ask for quotes which included a Manual J, and a break down of what each room should be getting cfm-wise. And equipment doesn't matter.

Only things that are really important are SEER rating, and for gas installs, is it 80, 90, 92 or higher efficiency.

actually i like payne units, it's carriers builder unit,not bad, i like it better the goooodmon!

Carrier offers a 10 year parts warranty .. just do it online.. so easy! Payne is the same thing though and they offered it first. It's all the same, just make sure they install it right.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    When I go look a a replacement, I always do a load calc, just to see what the place is supposed to have.

It is sad, but I assume whoever was there before me did it wrong or did it using a "rule of thumb".

Good thing is, if the person you have thinks it need needs more return, you probably have a good company. Most places have inadequate returns on them.i gotta get in the pro sectipoon

Just going back with the same "size" equipment is not a good idea. Have trees been grown or cut down around your house? Has design conditions changed? Did the original installer run a Manual J?

I would ask for quotes which included a Manual J, and a break down of what each room should be getting cfm-wise. And equipment doesn't matter.

Only things that are really important are SEER rating, and for gas installs, is it 80, 90, 92 or higher efficiency.
    hey stone question, on a 2 level ranch/colonial, say 2400 sq. ft. how long does a calc take you, and what program do you like.

I am a Trane dealer, and for my economy line I do Amana (which is the same as Goodman). I have sold Bryant in the past which is very similar to Payne. If its between Trane and Payne I personally would go with Trane (provided I trusted both installers).
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    actually i like payne units, it's carriers builder unit,not bad, i like it better the goooodmon!
    Whats wrong with Goodman? I have tons of them (Amana) out there pumping away without problems
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

hey stone question, on a 2 level ranch/colonial, say 2400 sq. ft. how long does a calc take you, and what program do you like.

I know most do wrightsoft but I do Adteks Accuload and can do a whole house load in 15 minutes with a homeowners help measuring

To the OP if people are recommending extra return airs they are probably doing a more detailed analysis and should do a better install

To the Trane warranty question yesyou can get 10 years labor on your system and up to 12 years parts and labor if you upgrade to the XLi but the XR15 is the best bang for your buck.

wrightsoft

thanks everyone. Just out of curiosity, how long does a typical ac unit drop one degree Fahrenheit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast