I have just had a Lennox HP26 3.5 ton condensing unit installed and just realized that the contractor installed a CB31MV 3 ton air handler. Other contractors quoted a 4 ton air handler if their brand didn't have a matching 3.5 ton, including one other Lennox contractor. Will the 3 ton air handler be O.K., or did I get screwed?

3 ton air handler is a listed match. btu's slightly higher, seer.60 lower than 4 ton. what did contract specify??

You're kinda vague on your model #s.

The HP26-042 with CB31MV-41 gives 13.05 SEER/8.2 HSPF while the CB31MV-51 gives 13.65 SEER/8.3 HSPF. If he didn't specify which AH then what he put in isn't out of line since it is ARI rated and an approved match. You get better latent capacity (dehumdification) with the smaller coil too. Slight loss of SEER but virtually the same heating.

We didn't have a contract, but I requested a 3.5 ton system. BaldLoonie, those are the correct model numbers of what was installed. The contractor originally quoted a 3 ton HP26 with the CB31MV-41 air handler. I requested a 3.5 ton system because my 12 years old Carrier had never quite gotten the job done. The price difference between the 3 and 3.5 was $485. Does that seem right for extra half ton of condensing unit and same air handler?

Only your dealer knows what's right. What he pays is different from everyone else.

When I choose a match I tend not to go with the larger air handler. We just did a 14 SEER American-Standard system. Proper matches were 3 different indoor units, I chose the smallest size.