Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I have no problem with the business, customer service, or the communication sides. My problem right now is technical. I am dedicating myself to learning thoroughly an area of HVAC each month until this next cooling season comes around.

August: Superheat & Subcooling.

September: What do you guys think???

September: Airflow, fans and static pressures and airside tools. Step one to determine proper operation of any HVAC system is to confirm proper airflow.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

What a great thread for fng's such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post
    I agree, good post.
    He left out one thing. Learning to step back and scratch your head. And say to yourself: It aint supposed to do that. Without the customer seeing you.

Quote Originally Posted by gevans View Post
    #1: You will never be able to stuff everything you need to know between your two ears. In other words, don't be afraid to ask for help from outside resources. This site, technical publications, OEM manuals, the techs at your local parts counter, etc.
    #2: There are always enough jobs out there to keep a good man busy. Don't waste any time holding up the competition. I don't have any competition, I only have friends in the same industry that work for others.
    #3: Treat all people with respect. Listen to your customers... they might not know anything about HVAC, but they know when their system is doing something different. Ask for a description.
    Answer number three is the most important. The customer knows their system. If you listen they will tell you exactly whats wrong. Like it only does it when it rains(Probably a short in t-stat wire). Or cools fine until about a little after noon then the outside quits running.(condensor fan motor overheating). Just some of the examples of listening to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzouhvac View Post
    1. Airflow and waterflow. Often overlooked and misunderstood.
    2. It all begins with week one day one basics. Superheat, subcooling and the basics of electricity.
    3. Always have a good friend in the industry on speed dial. Cause you will need him and he will need you.
    Ahmen brother. It's a good idea to have factory rep. on speed dial also.

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    September: Airflow, fans and static pressures and airside tools. Step one to determine proper operation of any HVAC system is to confirm proper airflow.
    This very true. But it is also a good idea to know the symptoms of poor airflow also. Like freezing up, low super heat and a low suction. Makes diagnosis quicker.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345