Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

* What area of learning is crucial in HVAC? *

Man I thought I knew a few thing or two about HVAC, but ever since I got on to hvac-talk.com I know crap!!! Okay so here's the questions for ALL experts and pros:

What three areas MUST I need to get good at in order to be successful in HVAC???

There's so many things to learn, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for all advice.

1- design and airflow, lots of trouble and hard to t- shoot if you don't know how it's designed first.
    2- electrical, it makes em run
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

1)buy a ducTCulator just to get an idea obout cfm's per ton
    2) learn what sub cool and super heat mean and how to check them
    3)learn how to use a multi meter w/o killing your self
    4) learn how to braze/solder and check for leaks with nitrogen,vacuum pump,micron gauge
    5)learn what drywet,bulb air temp means and how to check.
    6) how to ck. temp across coil
    7)how to use gauges on 410A/R-22
    8)HOW TO USE A AMPROBE AND WHAT THE AMP READING MEANS
    9)HOW TO TROUBLE SHOOT ELECTRIC components
    10)how to determine if a coil is dirty and how to clean
    11)how to reclaim freon
    12)learn how to chnge out a a/h and condenser
    13) learn anything not listed above!

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    1)buy a ducTCulator just to get an idea obout cfm's per ton
    2) learn what sub cool and super heat mean and how to check them
    3)learn how to use a multi meter w/o killing your self
    4) learn how to braze/solder and check for leaks with nitrogen,vacuum pump,micron gauge
    5)learn what dry wet,bulb air temp means and how to check.
    6) how to ck. temp across coil
    7)how to use gauges on 410A/R-22
    8)HOW TO USE A AMPROBE AND WHAT THE AMP READING MEANS
    9)HOW TO TROUBLE SHOOT ELECTRIC components
    10)how to determine if a coil is dirty and how to clean
    11)how to reclaim freon
    12)learn how to change out a a/h and condenser
    13) learn anything not listed above!
    I agree, good post.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

All of it.

Don't stop when you think you know something.

Learn the very basics. Master them. Then build upon those basics that you learned.

Revisit the basics frequently because your understanding is ever expanding and revisiting what you think that you already know can lead to deeper understanding.

Learning isnt a goal but a process.

1) observational skills, know how to see and remember.
    Not just equipment either.

Twilly says apply for pro status and read the posts a wealth of information and a lot of very smart tech's in there.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoang View Post

What three areas MUST I need to get good at in order to be successful in HVAC???
    Houston, we have a problem.

All areas need to be well understood, at least on a fundamental level, otherwise the ones that are weak will define you as mediocre. Beyond basic electricity and the refer cycle, Knowing HOW things work and proper installation is step one, knowing WHY is step two~ did a part fail because it was faulty or did some underlying problem cause the failure? What's the saying? Fix the problem, don't treat the symptoms?

Being able to whittle down a problem is the application of the basic knowledge with logic and reasoning, so that's where you start to define your real ability/worth. Resourcefulness matters maybe the most, I'd rather have a great ablity to find the right answer than try to remember everything. It's easier these days with the web and technology.

I got good marks in trade school but knew I was going to be worth very little to my first employer. Two trips to the ER in my first year .

So, after all that BS, the three areas: Take care of your back, make some money, and have some fun.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    Houston, we have a problem.

All areas need to be well understood, at least on a fundamental level, otherwise the ones that are weak will define you as mediocre. Beyond basic electricity and the refer cycle, Knowing HOW things work and proper installation is step one, knowing WHY is step two~ did a part fail because it was faulty or did some underlying problem cause the failure? What's the saying? Fix the problem, don't treat the symptoms?

Being able to whittle down a problem is the application of the basic knowledge with logic and reasoning, so that's where you start to define your real ability/worth. Resourcefulness matters maybe the most, I'd rather have a great ablity to find the right answer than try to remember everything. It's easier these days with the web and technology.

I got good marks in trade school but knew I was going to be worth very little to my first employer. Two trips to the ER in my first year .

So, after all that BS, the three areas: Take care of your back, make some money, and have some fun.
    and wear knee pads in a attic,think safety, have some one help with heavy equipment, and if you do residential, hopefully your boss uses 2 piece air handlers.

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoang View Post
    Man I thought I knew a few thing or two about HVAC, but ever since I got on to hvac-talk.com I know crap!!! Okay so here's the questions for ALL experts and pros:

There's so many things to learn, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for all advice.
    Boil it down to three items? Here you go:

1. Be good to and with people. Always.
    2. KNOW your refrigeration, electrical, and airflow theory. Don't blow it off or take it lightly. Don't take anyone seriously who poo-poos the importance of it. And when you DO get it down pat, remember Item #1 and teach it to others.
    3. You never arrive. The HVAC adventure is life-long. And it's a lot sweeter if you remember Item #1.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Boil it down to three items? Here you go:

1. Be good to and with people. Always.
    2. KNOW your refrigeration, electrical, and airflow theory. Don't blow it off or take it lightly. Don't take anyone seriously who poo-poos the importance of it. And when you DO get it down pat, remember Item #1 and teach it to others.
    3. You never arrive. The HVAC adventure is life-long. And it's a lot sweeter if you remember Item #1.
    SH, Well said. Remember that we are all born ignorant. Pride is a bigger obstacle to learning than stupidity. Too many people in life stop learning. Enjoy the adventure.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Great advices, thank you.

Here's my plan from now to the new cooling season is to attack a particular areas of learning to improve my skills.

Step 1: Pychrometric chart/humidity... Step 2: Airflow/cfm... and so on...

(Reason for these two areas first is because I noticed that most problems on the threads can be solve my understand these two area)

What do you guys think???

Based on my expereince with a bad & poorly trained HVAC contractor:

1)Correct unit sizing & load calculations
    2) Duct sizing & design
    3) Proper Installation methods including building code requirements.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast