Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    billva, thanks for your response. I wouldn't mind running the fan all the time but its too noisy because the ducts aren't sized for the higher CFMs. When running the AC, it is much quieter because the CFMs are set for around 1200. Its been driving me crazy and I'll ready to get some contractors out for sizing a new one. BTW, I do plan on staying here for a while. I'll probably get sticker shock for a new furnace. I'm interested in the Carrier or Trane 2 stage variable system systems.

One thing nobody has questioned is what is his AC load? If it is 5 tons it may explain why the furnace is over sized! I agree he needs a 40K or less furnace, but what if he needs 5 ton of cooling? You are not going to find a 40K furnace with a 2000 CFM blower!

greg o, no don't need 5 tons but currently have a 3 Ton system any my load calculation results were:
    23,540 Sensible
    4,895 Latent
    which should be a 2.5 ton. I'll put up with a little oversizing on the AC for now.

fan on can be wired to run at lower cfm's. if cooling fan speed is on low, just need to jump the fan on with cooling speed. it will adjust to the higher speed necessary for heat on a call for heat via the heat terminal.

gosh, this is all backwards.

billva, I just read in my manual that the "manual fan on mode" sets the fan speed to the cool speed setting. Doesn't look like there's any additional jumpering to do. I may give that a try this weekend. Yes, this is definitely backwards. Heat should run at a lower speed (in most cases) overall. The installers did very little tuning to system. They left the cool fan speed set to default which was on high (1939 CFM @0.5 IWC according to the spec). I had another contractor out later and he changed it to low (1173 @0.5 IWC). I really got screwed on this one. Now with the help of this site, I am more educated and will know what to ask for and expect.

Exclamation Dual Fuel

Originally posted by shoot52
    Yes, I have to agree with wyonger. This is an 87K BTUH output furnace. One of those 2 stage variable speed 40K furnace's would probably be just right.

wyonger, yea maybe I'll have to build a dog house addition for me cause I'll have to convince my wife that we need a new furnace.
    What is your A/C system set-up?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Economic$ of Heat Operation

Originally posted by dave davis
    Unfortunately other parameters may rule against the optimum equipment, in our case we opted to stay with oil, wanted a high quality piece of gear (as recommended on this forum), and the smallest available of the equipment that the company we trusted recommended (Thermopride) was somewhat larger in output than our requirement.

So we compromised. We probably get 60k btu/hr out of our furnace and only needed 45k. We should never be cold.

We're happy with the install and the furnace because the contractor worked with us to understand all these parameters, and the compromise was up front and understood by both parties. ...

We homeowners need to understand the theories to protect our investment, and find a contractor that can be trusted.

That's what I meant.
    Limiting oneself to oil, one manufacturer and one mechanical contractor eliminates more than 98% of the appropriate, available equipment which would provide
    year-round comfort.

Heat pump in Charlotte NC is the most economical heating option.

Homeowners need to understand not only the heating/ cooling capacities required but the full range of manufacturers and products available to address these various needs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

dan sw fl,
    "Heat pump in Charlotte NC is the most economical heating option."

Yes, I understand heat pump maybe more economical and I probably will go back to a heat pump when my current AC unit fails. I would then a dual system. One problem with heat pumps is if one loses power for an extended period of time, a back up generator isn't going to run a heat pump, but it will run a furnace. Here in the Charlotte area we have quiet a few ice storms. Something else to consider when having a heat pump as your only source of heating.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123