New Condensor won't draw down guages

I had a strange experience today. I installed a new Goodman R-22 condensor. I got everything working, charged by weight, and had the proper superheat for this particular A/C. I went to draw down my guages to go home and the low side would not draw down the guages. I have never had that happen.

I emptied the guages, hooked them back up and got the proper readings. I cut off the high side tried to draw them down again and the low side would not draw them down.

Does Goodman have some sort of safety for this?

Gotta be your gauges. Or possibly operator error?

-Mark
    RSES CM Member
    NCI Certified Air Balancer and CO/Combustion Analyst
    NATE Senior technician - Energy efficiency analyst and 7 other NATE Service certifications

Never stop learning!

When im finished checking or charging a system I just close the low loss valve and remove them not sure what you mean by drawing down the gauges

It sounds like the gasket on the low side is loose and stuck. Try taking the handle apart and see if a screw has come out of the end from over tightening gauges. I used to have this happen with some older gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    When im finished checking or charging a system I just close the low loss valve and remove them not sure what you mean by drawing down the gauges
    Close the low loss valve on the high side, open the valve between the high side and low side. The pressure equalized between low side and high side. The high side doesn't stay around 300 PSI.

Why would you charge by weight ?? should have been pre charged for 15 ft. line set ??

Quote Originally Posted by talktowags View Post
    Why would you charge by weight ?? should have been pre charged for 15 ft. line set ??
    New EPA guidelines do not allow for a pre-charge for R-22.

Maybe it was longer then 15Ft?
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by rlmcameron View Post
    I had a strange experience today. I installed a new Goodman R-22 condensor. I got everything working, charged by weight, and had the proper superheat for this particular A/C. I went to draw down my guages to go home and the low side would not draw down the guages. I have never had that happen.

I emptied the guages, hooked them back up and got the proper readings. I cut off the high side tried to draw them down again and the low side would not draw them down.

Does Goodman have some sort of safety for this?
    Check the Schrader valve depressor at the end of your hoses. It may not be fully pushing in the Schrader core.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

In Ontario ( Canada ) we can't buy R22 units. All 410a are charged for 15 feet. Sorry did not know U.S. R22 are shipped with no ref.

In Ontario ( Canada ) we can't buy R22 units. All 410a are charged for 15 feet. Sorry did not know U.S. R22 are shipped with no ref.

Twilly says USA got smarter lawyers than Canada....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Sounds like your High side valve is not opening to the manifold. Have you tried unhooking your low side and bleeding the high side through to eliminate that possibility? Do you bleed your manifold chamber before you drain your high side hose?
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

I have had a few units from factory that were not charged properly. I guess if they were to come empty that would take the guess work out of it. Not sure what that has to do with better lawyers. ??