Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You need remove the compressor and change the oil. Cut the line on the condenser and blow out with nitrogen, remove the receiver and empty the water.
    Now this would depend on the configuration of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    showed up to look at a small chiller used to cool a laser. Maintenance guy said it wouldn't start so he called the electricians to take a look. Said they found a bad switch so they JUMPED IT OUT He said it ran but still wouldn't cool.
    I put my gauges on and read 0 psi. Pressurized and evaporator reservoir overflowed with bubbles.
    To make a long story short, I replaced the coil and cannot get rid of the water. I've been purging and pulling a vacuum for going on three days now. (I stop in between jobs to change pump oil and purge). My pump oil continues to be milky white every time. I can get vacuum down to 936 and will hold for an hour before purging again.

Is there anything I can do to hurry this along?
    Does my vacuum reading sound right? (It won't raise much, making me think its not boiling off)
    Can I throw some heat on the receiver and comp?

Thanks in advance. Will be back at it tomorrow, and hope to see some improvement.
    What brand laser and what brand chiller? I work on a lot of them and might have been there before.

Put some heat lamps on system & vacuum looking good. Tapped compressor with rubber mallet to improve chances of trapped moisture burping.
    I stop in 2-3 times a day to check oil & vacuum.
    Removal of components was addressed earlier, but with the layout of the system was thought better to keep pump on. (decision from higher up)
    Damn system looks like its on life support!
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

[QUOTE=kamersoutdoor;11011232]showed up to look at a small chiller used to cool a laser. Maintenance guy--------------

Reminds me of another situation that started out this way. I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. The Maintenace Guy tried for weeks to dry up a chiller that had sprung a leak in the evaporator. Couldn't figure out why he wasn't gaining any ground. Turns out he had 50% glycol in his chilled water loop.!!!! Glycol won't evaporate any faster than the oil in Jayguys experiment. L.O.L. Ended up trashing the chiller and installing a new one.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

[QUOTE=referteacher;11042722]
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    showed up to look at a small chiller used to cool a laser. Maintenance guy--------------

Reminds me of another situation that started out this way. I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. The Maintenace Guy tried for weeks to dry up a chiller that had sprung a leak in the evaporator. Couldn't figure out why he wasn't gaining any ground. Turns out he had 50% glycol in his chilled water loop.!!!! Glycol won't evaporate any faster than the oil in Jayguys experiment. L.O.L. Ended up trashing the chiller and installing a new one.
    According to plant records loop has never been treated. This is one thought as to why the evaporator had a million pin holes in it (when I first removed the coil I capped the ends and figured i would fix the leaks back at the shop. LOL, after a quick 20 repairs I found 20 more).
    You make a good point with the glycol. Maybe we should sit plant personnel down and start interrogation processes

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

OOPS, should've started this in pro forums. Just read the sticky. This place sure is getting harder to manuver than it was 5 yrs ago!

A Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12