power factor capacitor - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wow! you guys are impressive ! i was just wondering if it was ok to run the machine without them. i am glad i registered for this website and hope i can bring some sort of info to the table to help someone else . wait , blown fuse ? i got this one.......

Quote Originally Posted by post time View Post
    wow! you guys are impressive ! i was just wondering if it was ok to run the machine without them. i am glad i registered for this website and hope i can bring some sort of info to the table to help someone else . wait , blown fuse ? i got this one.......
    as for running without them...

power factor correction capacitors 'store' the VAR's (Volts-Amps Reactive, sometimes called kVAR's or kilo Volts-Amps Reactive). when a motor runs, due to inefficiencies and other mother-nature type items, a certain amount of VA is sort of 'wasted'. the motor needs it. you have to provide it. but you don't get charged for it. why? because you and the utility play tennis with it. they make it, it passes through your motor, and then you send it back...simplified version. when you get it, your meter spins forward and you get billed because it is wattage (or kW). but then when you send it back, your meter spins backwards and you get a credit. now do this 60 times per second.

you get a bill for low power factor because it is wattage that the utility created but doesn't get paid for. because it is real wattage, the power lines and transformers have to be sized to carry it. so do disconnects AND OVERLOADS. but what if you could store it and stop playing tennis with the utility? PFCC's do this. they store it every cycle and then give it back to the motor every cycle. this removes the wattage from the lines and transformers.

cool!

but what if you sized your transformers and power distribution equipment and overloads without the kVARs? and now you are playing tennis again. transformers are now undersized. wiring is now undersized. overheating can happen. breaker tripping at full load may occur because they are now carrying the extra wattage.

the utilities have PFCC's in the lines that they can turn them on and off to correct for YOUR low power factor and your neighbors low power factor and his neighbors low power factor, however, they cost money to install, repair and replace. if YOU fix your low power factor and pay the costs, then they can actually give you a credit (if you correct the power factor high enough). i have 1 customer that gets PAID all winter long due to the high power factor they have. then the AC comes on and my customer starts paying them!

you will most likely be ok with this chiller...just be aware.
    You either love bacon or you are wrong.

4 gallons of gas, 2 miles of travel, teaching my daughters how to drive in the high school parking lot...priceless!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12