I have a homeowner that has a limited space for his air handler and I need some input on manufactured units.
    The area designed for the air handler is 22"(front face) by 27"+(depth). With the new designs of airhandlers, most have the front face along the wide side which will not work because he has solid walls on the left and back of the unit and a unrouteable return(11.5"x26") from the upstairs running along the right side of the airhandler down to the return plenum under the unit.
    Armstrong makes a airhandler that will fit perfectly into the given space, but homeowner doesn't want a low end unit.
    The airhandler needed is for a 5 ton air cond and/or heat pump(has not decided?), 20-25kw electric heat, needs to be variable speed, 12 SEER or better, and r410a.
    Also can anyone give their opinion on the Armstrong Envirosure 1400 in case there is no other option.

That outdoor unit is a Lennox unit. Doesn't have the compressor compartment that makes the Lennox so quiet though. The EFV is a nice air handler for the buck. Not as quiet as some but cheaper than many standard blower units.

Are you going to change the outdoor unit too? I wouldnt start mismatching air handlers, especially if the customer is looking for a high end system.

The "Envirosure 1400" is the outdoor unit

In answer to our question, this is a complete new system inside and out in a house that has never had a/c or central heat before, just dearborn heaters and window units. The homeowner has put in all the metal ductwork and 16' plenum himself and would like to finish it out with a proper system.

The only unit I knew that would fit the inside space was the Armstrong airhandler, that is why I came here to the forum to see if anyone knew of another airhandler that would fit so we could find a complete matched unit.

If the Armstrong variable speed is the only airhandler that I find to fit, then it will include the Envirosure 1400 air cond/heat pump as a matched set. But that isn't the choice the homeowner wants but will take if thats the only option seeing as he created this space restriction.

Homeowner would prefer a higher end system.

Next year, Armstrong will have 2 stage equipment using the Copeland Ultra unit if he can wait til then. Is that what he is calling higher end?

Rheem's RBHK is 24" wide, 28" deep, the narrower end faces out. They don't have a 2 stage 5 ton outdoor unit though.

Found something:

ADP's BV series of variable speed air handlers is only 22" wide in the 5 ton. Not surprising since they make Armstrong's too At a glance at the ARI ratings, didn't see 2 stage units rated with it but if you called ADP with some desired outdoor units, likely they could get you a rating. They're good people to work with.

I checked the ADP site, but even though the airhandlers are the proper size they are not for this application.

This is an install in southern Oklahoma, just straight electric heat w/air or heatpump.

We are looking for a top end system,not a piece your own, i.e. Trane, Carrier, Rheem....etc. in a matched set.

If you can do 24.5" wide, Rheems will fit and are 35" tall, 28" deep. Wide variety of nice outdoor units, no 2 stage in 5 ton as I mentioned.

Sorry but the width of the front of the unit can not be more that the 22".

There has been over 90 views to this topic and I can't believe no one knows of a different airhandler that will fit within these dimensions (or is it just brand loyalty)

Guess it will have to be the Amrstong after all. Thats ashame for the homeowner after he has put all this work into the job.

The ADP models, as I pointed out, are 22". Tell the HO to pick the outdoor unit he wants, then check the ARI ratings. If that unit isn't rated with the ADP air handler, call ADP and see if they can get you a rating.