Rear clearance on a Modine HD75

Rear clearance on a Modine HD75

I have a new Modine HD75 Hot Dawg heater that was just mounted by my local HVAC contractorn in my workshop. It was installed at an approximate 15 deg angle from the exterior wall so that the clearance at the rear of the unit on the side closest to the wall is approximately 11". The rear clearance on the other side of the heater is over 48". Because the installation book calls for 18" clearance at the rear, I did not pass my inspection. The inspector said if I could get a letter from Modine saying this was OK that he would accept that. Do you think that I can get such a letter from Modine or should I just bite the bullet and straighten it out to get the 18" of clearance? Thanks for your help.
    Test

Usually,

whatever is shown in the installation manual is gospel. They may show different installation scenarios, but if it's not in the manual, I seriously doubt if you will get any kind of approval letter from a manufacturer.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by test1328 View Post
    I have a new Modine HD75 Hot Dawg heater that was just mounted by my local HVAC contractorn in my workshop. It was installed at an approximate 15 deg angle from the exterior wall so that the clearance at the rear of the unit on the side closest to the wall is approximately 11". The rear clearance on the other side of the heater is over 48". Because the installation book calls for 18" clearance at the rear, I did not pass my inspection. The inspector said if I could get a letter from Modine saying this was OK that he would accept that. Do you think that I can get such a letter from Modine or should I just bite the bullet and straighten it out to get the 18" of clearance? Thanks for your help.
    Test
    just wondering if it's because of heat, maybe a pice of sheet metal over the dry wall would help to pass, you could talk to the installer about this, but the insp. has the finally word!

The inspector mentioned that sometimes putting a 1" offset (from the wall) piece of sheet metal next to the heater might be acceptable but he said that was usually only for unrated appliances. It sounded like the only acceptable solution from him was either a letter from Modine giving an alternative to the manual or moving the heater to comply with the manual.

By the way, thanks for the responses!