+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lowboy to 90 percenter completion

Post Likes

Arrow

For those of you that read the last post, yes we did get that heat exchanger out of the basement. The husband tried to convince his wife to paint it and turn it into some sort of ornament but she wasn't having any of that, lol. Had to get some 1" plywood and build a ramp and get 4 guys to get this thing up the steps but we did it. Am now proud to say we are done with the job and I couldn't be happier!

Everything is a little more snug now that the beast is gone.

I turned the existing supply drop into a sled fitting for optimum airflow. All done out of my van. Takes some extra time but I feel it is well worth it to keep the static down. All radius fittings for me.

This water heater is the next to go. He is going to go with a Noritz tankless probably within the month, doesn't look like it should be too much trouble.

Post Likes
    What was the static on that system? Seems like even with those radius fittings static would be high, why so many turns?

What size furnace?

No cooling?

Is that return enough to handle the supply?

What up with the flexy gas line between rigid pipe?

Not being sarcastic, just asking questions....

Post Likes
    Hold it!

After reading your post it said, "only radius fittings for me!" what happened to the return drop??....

Post Likes
    No sediment trap (drip leg) on gas line???? tsk tsk. Gas flex looks "ugly" Those air cleaners work much better with radius or at least a throat with turning vanes. Other wise nice looking changeout.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post Likes
    There is a scoop in the return drop, where it comes down and where it mates to the air cleaner. As far as the flex, it can be used as a drip leg, passes code over here in Seattle. Knowing this is Seattle, that should answer your A/C question. Don't need it!

Post Likes
    That is an excellent looking job! Nice to see pride put into
    our trade. Lucky homeowners to have someone care about their
    work. Keep it up.

Post Likes
    How is that flex being used as a drip leg???

Post Likes
    looks good. But why isn't there a drip leg in the gas line

Post Likes
    *shrugs* around here if ya put a loop in the gas flex line it classifies as a drip leg. Not right in my mind... but they pass it.

Post Likes
    You're right, there isn't a drip leg there, didn't notice it til now. Passes code around here, but that doesn't make it right. I'm gonna go back there tomorrow and put it in. To answer the "why so many turns" question; You can't see it from these pics, but this is a real old welded duct system from the 40's that is pretty time consuming to take fully apart as far as each supply drop is concerned, so I figured the best thing to do would be to at least put a sled there to help it out. Sometimes you have to improvise, you gotta admit it is much better than just slamming some straight duct up there. And for 2hot2coolme, the R/A duct is 10X24, more than enough in this application considering the floor return is almost directly above the drop.

Post Likes
    You're right, there isn't a drip leg there, didn't notice it til now. Passes code around here, but that doesn't make it right. I'm gonna go back there tomorrow and put it in. To answer the "why so many turns" question; You can't see it from these pics, but this is a real old welded duct system from the 40's that is pretty time consuming to take fully apart as far as each supply drop is concerned, so I figured the best thing to do would be to at least put a sled there to help it out. Sometimes you have to improvise, you gotta admit it is much better than just slamming some straight duct up there. And for 2hot2coolme, the R/A duct is 10X24, more than enough in this application considering the floor return is almost directly above the drop. It was sized by my supervisor using Manual D by the way.

Post Likes
    Oops, sent twice, don't know why I can't delete the first, it won't let me!

Post Likes
    How far of run do you have on the PVC?

Short elbow allowed??

Other than that, look good.

I agree about the gas line trap.

Post Likes
    I don't think that's a short radius ell, I think it's a no radius ell.

Probably not idea, but long as it's not a long run it'll likely never know the differance.

Post Likes
    Vents only go 30', chart says 2" good up to 100'. Each run has only 3 90's per so not a problem, even being short radius ells.

Post Likes

drip leg

we had a similar discussion in the shop last week, the inspector will let flex count as a drip leg here, too. Apparently the ribs are supposed to catch any oil etc. I don't care for it and i'll stick with the drip leg myself. good looking job!

Post Likes
    If the furnace was placed under the ductwork, looks like at least two fittings could have been eliminated- the ell above the transition and the goldberg.

Those two fittings are worth around 170 feet of duct, certainly worth the little bit of space gained by cramming the unit against the wall.

I wouldn't be surprised if the unit shut off on limit, and a future coil would probably freeze.

The throat radius is what matters, not the heel. The "all radius fittings for me" is a bit misplaced.

Why not mount the filter horizontally?

It looks good, though.

I like the owners manual holder. Nice touch.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in