Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    plenum rebuild vs. replace

    I think I'm posting this in the right place.

    We are coming to the end of our home inspection period and the seller has agreed to "rebulid" the plenum. According to the inspections, the plenum has been in contact with the soil and the bottom has corroded away. My question is, can that be "rebuilt" or should we ask the seller to replace the plenum completely?

    I would feel so much more confident if I knew this was a routine repair.

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by jennifleur View Post
    I think I'm posting this in the right place.

    We are coming to the end of our home inspection period and the seller has agreed to "rebulid" the plenum. According to the inspections, the plenum has been in contact with the soil and the bottom has corroded away. My question is, can that be "rebuilt" or should we ask the seller to replace the plenum completely?

    I would feel so much more confident if I knew this was a routine repair.

    thanks!
    replace it!!

  3. #3
    That would be my vote too, but I'm guessing it is cheaper to rebuild and that's why the sellers may just be offering to only rebuild.

    Is there a reason/justification for replace vs. rebuild in our circumstance? I will need some sort of reason to argue for replacement and since I don't know a hill of beans about anything other than how to turn the heater to "on," I was hoping to get some insight here.

    Also, what is the price difference between repair vs. replace?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by jennifleur View Post
    That would be my vote too, but I'm guessing it is cheaper to rebuild and that's why the sellers may just be offering to only rebuild.

    Is there a reason/justification for replace vs. rebuild in our circumstance? I will need some sort of reason to argue for replacement and since I don't know a hill of beans about anything other than how to turn the heater to "on," I was hoping to get some insight here.

    Also, what is the price difference between repair vs. replace?
    with out piictures it's really tough to figure out,
    good luck! but again a picture would be good!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cal
    Posts
    1,596
    Actually, the first decision is what to do about the soil clearance issue~ Raise the elevation of the equipment or lower the grade. No sense in repeating the obvious error.

    Rebuilding probably means patch over and cover the sins with new insulation. 0" clearance means that a worthwhile repair won't happen w/o removal, repair, re-installation~ easier and cheaper to just replace. Have someone competent ensure the connections are tight/well sealed and the insulation or lining is correct.

    Edit: if the existing plenum is lined(interior insulation) it probably has mold cooties due to moisture saturation and needs to go away. Get a contractor of your own to id the problem and give you a cost to replace, that way the seller doesn't have control of what you wind up with.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    5
    Replace it.God only knows what is growing in the damp soil.If it was me I would want it on a pad out of the dirt and a new plenum,a patch is just that a quick fix that you will only have to fix again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,991
    As others said we really need pictures but you can sleeve the unit to insulate it from the soil rather than installing on top of it, this is a win win situation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    1,133
    Replace. The odds of them being able to repair it, and properly seal it while it is installed is slim, so it will need to be removed to be repaired. And if you remove it, why not fix the clearance issue, and replace it with a new one?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    2,190
    If only the bottom/ end cap of plenum has been corroded then the owner has the right to cut the rusted part off (thereby shortening the plenum and increasing the clearance to dirt) and install new endcap thus effecting a REPAIR
    If you feel that strongly about this then walk away from the deal OR offer to pay the difference to relpace the entire plenum with the extra work of disconnecting and then reconnecting the taps/ duct connections
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    I dont need to see any pic's---replace it. By the way, if I were buying this house, red flags are popping up. Dig deeper (not litterally).

  11. #11
    Thanks for all the advice. We got the seller to agree to replace it today.

    We've had three inspections done on the house and all three people said the house is a very good and solid house.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by jennifleur View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. We got the seller to agree to replace it today.

    We've had three inspections done on the house and all three people said the house is a very good and solid house.
    i guess you bought a house! good luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event