Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb

This is a great site. I am glad finding you guys.

My first house was a new construction. I started modifying the regular air filter and placing in behind the return grille to keep the duct work clean. Although that is the only new construction I bought, I have been modifying the air filters from Home Depot for my return grilles for more than 10 years. Recently I’ve seen many duct cleaning ads and would like to think placing an air filter at the return grille is a good idea, especially for the new constructions.

I’d love to read your thoughts.

Thanks,
    dz

In this area, most filters are at the grille, although we are starting to see more and more media filters and electronic filters at the unit too. It really depends on the design of the returns, but I'd rather personally have my filters at the return grilles. Either way is fine if the system is properly designed.

Bobby

I live in MD. Which area is your?

Thanks.

IMPORTANT:
    When you use a filter grill properly, you filter all your ductwork and air handler. This is the best method of keeping the whole system cleaner.

All my return grills are not filter grill. The only filter is at the unit. It seems rather difficult to install a filter grill as replacement.

Originally posted by appltech1
    IMPORTANT:
    When you use a filter grill properly, you filter all your ductwork and air handler. This is the best method of keeping the whole system cleaner.
    But not practical when having multiple returns like we do. Media filter will by far keep the air handler or furnace cleaner than any standard filter grill.

well there's not much you can do about it. In this case i hope they arent on the floor. Shoe dirt, animal hair, and food end up in the returns. what cha gonna do? It is better to have multible returns hi . Oh well good luck.

Re: I live in MD. Which area is your?

Originally posted by dz8
    Thanks.
    Upstate, SC.

trane, good point.

My house has five returns, 2 upstairs and 3 down. I guess, generally, more returns are better than just 1.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Filters at the grilles will keep the return ducts cleaner,but a media filter is better for the equipment.

Filters at the grille also place the PD(pressure drop) of the filters on the entire return duct,which will increase duct leakage if any ,in the return duct,plus any air leakage pulled in will not be filtered.

Just like duct dusting cleaning is mostly psychological; it is just a thing I do to make myself feel better. I do keep the filter at the unit. The filter I crafted is an addition, not to replace the one at the unit. I guess leakage will always be there. Hopefully, the dust introduced by the leakage is less than an open return.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Two filters is usually a very bad idea,too restrictive,depending on duct design,reduces the total air required for system operation.

You should have a Pro,that knows air flow test it before using any filter that didn't come with the design or is added .

Get rid of the filter at the unit. And put in a return grill that will take a filter they make them for one and two" filters or have a filter cartrage put in like an april air space guard it really is a mater of convience for changing the filter. But you always want to use a high quality filter any way with the filter in the air streem the only place your gonna get a dust build up is in the return duct and thats only hopefully 10 to 15 feet i hope and you should bee changing the filter monthly on heavy use months hope this helps you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by Lusker on 11-20-2005 at 02:55 PM]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast