Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TXV hot swap

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I've done things this way and can say from experience that it is t a good method.

Do I right.
    Do you mean mean not?
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

never mind
    Last edited by perfectionist; 08-11-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: didn't realize it is open forum

this whole "OPEN FORUM" thing cracks me up lol

I do it all the time commercial mostly, have run into very few scenario's in residential to be able to perform a refrigerant component repair on the ''fly''.

there is nothing wrong with this, as long as it's done properly.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence a View Post
    Hot Swap is when we pump down the system into the condensor and leave some pressure in it so we are venting some of the 410A
    They tell us that it is faster this way and we dont have to test with nitrogen or pull it down in a vacuum.
    That can be a problem..... Do you have your E.P.A. certification? Not trying to be an a**, but venting is against the law. Keep in mind that the E.P.A. will fine your personally. Some people still want to vent that shi* into the atmosphere rather then do it properly. I ain't the E.P.A. police, just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence a View Post
    Hot Swap is when we pump down the system into the condensor and leave some pressure in it so we are venting some of the 410A
    They tell us that it is faster this way and we dont have to test with nitrogen or pull it down in a vacuum.
    Done it a thousand times with commercial txvs, and a few times residential. Meh

Quote Originally Posted by okctech View Post
    That can be a problem..... Do you have your E.P.A. certification? Not trying to be an a**, but venting is against the law. Keep in mind that the E.P.A. will fine your personally. Some people still want to vent that shi* into the atmosphere rather then do it properly. I ain't the E.P.A. police, just sayin...
    There's one word for that.....DE MINIMIS. If done properly, you'll vent less refrigerant than you will by purging your hoses when you connect your gauges to a system. I'm hoping you purge your hoses or your introducing air and moisture into the system.
    Last edited by R123; 08-11-2011 at 11:20 AM.

It is called "deminumis"

It wont work on a TXV that has to be sweated in though.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    It is called "deminumis"
    The Prohibition on Venting
    Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances). Only four types of releases are permitted under the prohibition:

"De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released in the course of making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant.
    Refrigerants emitted in the course of normal operation of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (as opposed to during the maintenance, servicing, repair, or disposal of this equipment) such as from mechanical purging and leaks. However, EPA requires the repair of leaks above a certain size in large equipment (see Refrigerant Leaks).
    Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released.
    Small releases of refrigerant that result from purging hoses or from connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances will not be considered violations of the prohibition on venting. However, recovery and recycling equipment manufactured after November 15, 1993, must be equipped with low-loss fittings.

The Prohibition on Venting
    Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances). Only four types of releases are permitted under the prohibition:

"De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released in the course of making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant.
    Refrigerants emitted in the course of normal operation of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (as opposed to during the maintenance, servicing, repair, or disposal of this equipment) such as from mechanical purging and leaks. However, EPA requires the repair of leaks above a certain size in large equipment (see Refrigerant Leaks).
    Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released.
    Small releases of refrigerant that result from purging hoses or from connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances will not be considered violations of the prohibition on venting. However, recovery and recycling equipment manufactured after November 15, 1993, must be equipped with low-loss fittings.
    Forgive me not knowing you EPA codes but this sound weird.
    According to this venting of 410A is OK. It has 0 ODP and it is HFC.
    Last edited by -MAKE-; 08-11-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typos

A pump down sounds like a good faith attempt to me, what did not pump down was the "De minimis".

But what ever, I will let you worry about it while Nasa and the US military dumps billions of tons of crap into the atmosphere?

Although I don't think replacing a TXV with some slight refrigerant in the system is a terrible act and defiant of the EPA rules.

I am pretty sure most of us understand that this proceedure does not fall under the De minimus guidelines of the EPA code.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast