+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TXV hot swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

TXV hot swap

The company I work for pushes us to do hot swaps on 410 TXV's. I'm not a big fan of doing it this way. I'd like to get others' thoughts/pros/cons on doing this.

Post Likes
    What do you mean by 'hot swap'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    What do you mean by 'hot swap'
    X2
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Twilly says they steal it from one house and install it in another and get paid for it.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Hot Swap is when we pump down the system into the condensor and leave some pressure in it so we are venting some of the 410A
    They tell us that it is faster this way and we dont have to test with nitrogen or pull it down in a vacuum.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence a View Post
    Hot Swap is when we pump down the system into the condensor and leave some pressure in it so we are venting some of the 410A
    They tell us that it is faster this way and we dont have to test with nitrogen or pull it down in a vacuum.
    I've done things this way and can say from experience that it is t a good method.

Do I right.

Post Likes
    If the txv is equiped with mechanical conections , such as chatleff with seals , then there is nothing wrong at all with changing the valve with say , 5 psi on the lines and evap.

Residential speaking.

This saves time , avoids contamination , and is perfectly do-able.

New drier or evacuation not needed.

Even with zero pounds , Carrier says vapor will still exit for some time , preventing air and moisture from entering. (you can see the fumes)

Also , you can easily thumb a hole with five pounds.

Post Likes

???????

Last time I checked 99% of us get paid by the hr. I recommend residential, commercial no matter what application pump it down, change the txv, change the drier and vac the system. This leaves little room for error. That's my personal opinion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post

Also , you can easily thumb a hole with five pounds.

Thats what she said!

Post Likes
    I have done this once with good results. In the perfect world you would have a filter-dryer already in the lineset to clear your mind.

However, I must say, I have only seen 1 410a TXV actually fail.

Post Likes
    it you have the change the txv because it is malfunctioning possibly from debris changing the lld would be a good thing.

damm i must be slow not sure if it could change it out with presssure remaining on both sides

i guess if you leave enough liquid in the system and are not using a torch - i hate that- and have your buddy hold his thumbs over the exposed ends while you are in between his legs it might work.

i probably have bad luck with these things so i'll recover and my buddy has short arms

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I've done things this way and can say from experience that it is t a good method.

Do I right.
    Do you mean mean not?
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Post Likes
    That can be a problem..... Do you have your E.P.A. certification? Not trying to be an a**, but venting is against the law. Keep in mind that the E.P.A. will fine your personally. Some people still want to vent that shi* into the atmosphere rather then do it properly. I ain't the E.P.A. police, just sayin...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by okctech View Post
    That can be a problem..... Do you have your E.P.A. certification? Not trying to be an a**, but venting is against the law. Keep in mind that the E.P.A. will fine your personally. Some people still want to vent that shi* into the atmosphere rather then do it properly. I ain't the E.P.A. police, just sayin...
    There's one word for that.....DE MINIMIS. If done properly, you'll vent less refrigerant than you will by purging your hoses when you connect your gauges to a system. I'm hoping you purge your hoses or your introducing air and moisture into the system.
    Last edited by R123; 08-11-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Post Likes
    It is called "deminumis"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    It is called "deminumis"
    The Prohibition on Venting
    Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances). Only four types of releases are permitted under the prohibition:

"De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released in the course of making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant.
    Refrigerants emitted in the course of normal operation of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (as opposed to during the maintenance, servicing, repair, or disposal of this equipment) such as from mechanical purging and leaks. However, EPA requires the repair of leaks above a certain size in large equipment (see Refrigerant Leaks).
    Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released.
    Small releases of refrigerant that result from purging hoses or from connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances will not be considered violations of the prohibition on venting. However, recovery and recycling equipment manufactured after November 15, 1993, must be equipped with low-loss fittings.

Post Likes
    The Prohibition on Venting
    Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances). Only four types of releases are permitted under the prohibition:

"De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released in the course of making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant.
    Refrigerants emitted in the course of normal operation of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (as opposed to during the maintenance, servicing, repair, or disposal of this equipment) such as from mechanical purging and leaks. However, EPA requires the repair of leaks above a certain size in large equipment (see Refrigerant Leaks).
    Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released.
    Small releases of refrigerant that result from purging hoses or from connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances will not be considered violations of the prohibition on venting. However, recovery and recycling equipment manufactured after November 15, 1993, must be equipped with low-loss fittings.
    Forgive me not knowing you EPA codes but this sound weird.
    According to this venting of 410A is OK. It has 0 ODP and it is HFC.
    Last edited by -MAKE-; 08-11-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typos

Post Likes

A pump down sounds like a good faith attempt to me, what did not pump down was the "De minimis".

But what ever, I will let you worry about it while Nasa and the US military dumps billions of tons of crap into the atmosphere?

Post Likes
    just what is a couple of ounces of the great eco friendly 410a gonna do to the world. Sometimes it's more cost effective to be quick, get it done. I'm more about what makes sense.....
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Done it a thousand times with commercial txvs, and a few times residential. Meh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in