Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisey Return

Hi,

I am a new member. I am home owner and really no nothing about HVAC systems so I am hoping that you can help me out. The first floor return to my forced air system (3 years old) is very noisey when the heat is running. Is there anything I can do to reduce the "wooshing" noise? Thanks for reading my post.

May not be much you can do. If the furnace or air handler is really close that could be the cause, otherwise the ducting may be too small. Some grills can be noisey also.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

see this thread. I have a similar problem.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=88324

when you open the return grill does the noise reduce? If so look into a different designed grill(more open).
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Smile RETURN AIR WOOSH?

YOU WOULD SEEM TO HAVE INADEQUATE RETURN AIR OPENING IN THE DUCT WORK. THEREFORE THE AIR VELOCITY IS VERY HIGH AND NOISY AS IT PASSES THE GRILL FINS. GRILLES COME IN VARIED WIDTH OPENINGS BETWEEN VANES. GET THE WIDEST SPACED POSSIBLE. IF THAT DOES NOT WORK MAKE A LARGER OPENING WITH LARGER GRILLE OR IN FACT MAKE ANOTHER OPENING AT ANOTHER LOCATION AND JOIN TOGETHER WITH DUCT WORK IN BASEMENT OR ATTIC AS SUITS YOUR APPLICATION.THE NOISE CREATED BY THIS PROBLEM IS ONE THE THE INSIGNIFIGANT SYMPTOMS. THE LARGER ISSUE IS INADEQUATE AIR FLOW CAUSED BY THE SMALL GRILL SIZE, POSSIBLY UNDERSIZED DUCTWORK.THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR UNIT TO HAVE A SHORTER LIFE SPAN AS IT MUST OVERWORK ITSELF, OVERHEAT ITSELF AND WASTE YOUR MONEY TRYING TO DO THE JOB. lOOK AT YOUR DUCTWORK IN BASEMENT THE RETURN DUCT SIZE SHOULD BE AT VERY LEAST AS LARGE AS THE SUPPLY DUCT SIZE. THIS PROBLEM IS PROBABLY EVEN WORSE IF YOU HAVE A/C IN THE SUMMER THE FAN SPEED MAY KICK INTO HIGH SPEED. AS YOU SEE THERE ARE MANY FACTORS AND I DID NOT SCRATCH THE SURFACE.

Now I gotta go to the eye doctor.

Bigboss.... lose the caps man and then scratch the surface.

WHO'S KIDDING WHO

I SEE THERE THERE IS NO HELPING SOMEONE ON THIS SITE WITHOUT THE CAT CALLING NO NOTHINGS BITING FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY. DON'T WASTE MY TIME WITH YOUR SNIPING BALONEY. YOU'RE NOT CAPABLE OF HOLDING MY TOOLS MUCH LESS CRITQUEING MY WORDS. I WON'T BOTHER WITH THIS SITE AGAIN PERIOD.

Re: WHO'S KIDDING WHO

Originally posted by bigboss887
    I SEE THERE THERE IS NO HELPING SOMEONE ON THIS SITE WITHOUT THE CAT CALLING NO NOTHINGS BITING FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY. DON'T WASTE MY TIME WITH YOUR SNIPING BALONEY. YOU'RE NOT CAPABLE OF HOLDING MY TOOLS MUCH LESS CRITQUEING MY WORDS. I WON'T BOTHER WITH THIS SITE AGAIN PERIOD.
    What are you talking about? He just said quit typing all caps.

What a jerk you are. Be gone then biglooser887.

First off, noone here that I know of wants to hold your tool. Second, all that was said was to stop typing in caps. If you can't handle that, it sounds like you need to step down from being "BigBoss". Lighten up.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

We'll miss you!!!LOL!!

A Little Respect

bigboss887

Well, I'm going to weigh in on this one. I'm a new member here also. 35+ years, retired from the field now. One thing I learned, not only in this industry, but in life in general is to try showing a little respect to those around you, and help will come at you faster than you can use it. .......I did notice the designer of your web site knows not to use cap locks. All caps is considered SHOUTING!

Being educated does not indicate knowledge....
    An administrator is an individual educated beyond their intelligence.

Regards...........

I WON'T BOTHER WITH THIS SITE AGAIN PERIOD.
    One period is enough, thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast