Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IQ DRIVE

I agree that fundamentally it's hardly new technology. AC Frequency Drives have been around in the industrial world for over 30 years now. 20+ years in the newer generations.

At my work I've used frequency drives on a type positve displacement blower as well as seen them applied on a oil free screw type air compressor which is simialr to a scroll. They worked well. The only issues were cooling airlfow on the compressor VFD (it was in a dusty environment and didn't get the filters changed) and correctly sizing hte drive to get adequate start-up torque on the blowers. So for example, a compressor that draws a 10A on constant run, might have a drive rated for 20A so it can handle the start-up current.

But for the HVAC mfg's it's still relatively new technology. Dirty power (common in residential) can be a problem. I wonder if Carrier has added line reactors or other power conditioning devices to prevent the issue on the Greenspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I agree that fundamentally it's hardly new technology. AC Frequency Drives have been around in the industrial world for over 30 years now. 20+ years in the newer generations.

IQ Drive uses a DC inverter, as the compressor and condenser fan motor are DC. No AC freq drive here as residential is single phase power, typically.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Well in that case, DC Drives have been around even longer. So are they some sort of a brushless PM motor similar to the ECM motor on a blower?

An AC VFD can be wired to be supplied by single phase power since they generate the 3 phases using DC independently of the line side. Actually, you can use an inverter to create 3 phase power if you only have a single phase supply. It won't be as clean and can cause problems with non-inverter rated motors.

Thanks for the help guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12