Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IQ DRIVE

Confused IQ DRIVE

Any pro's out there have any thoughts on the Frigidaire 23.5 seer IQ Drive unit"s are far as repairs ,operations etc.Do you think the technology is too new ?

junk

worked on one a while back i think they are junk poor design. there controls constantly cause nuisance calls. homewowners may like them, but i would never put one in my house. and i believe its a nordyne right. just a note if your gonna work on those get the book you will need it

I have never had problems with the ones I have installed. The units are very quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by farleyb View Post
    Any pro's out there have any thoughts on the Frigidaire 23.5 seer IQ Drive unit"s are far as repairs ,operations etc.Do you think the technology is too new ?
    the technology is not new. trane had a variation of it back in the late 80's. trouble was, you couldn't find many people who could work on them. i suspect that is the case with the iq. nice set up and i think variable drive is the wave of the future. then you have the parts issues, not many off the shelf parts for these systems, but if it takes off that should become less and less of a problem. so, if you have a good tech on board and some dough to cover parts and labor, then knock yourself out. i'm not a fan of nordyne though.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

I have one in my house and absolutely LOVE it. Absolutely silent, my condenser is on my back porch just outside my back door, wife was worried about vibration or noise in the house. There is none, the only time i can actually hear the condenser is if the wind is blowing at just the right direction over it while it's in one of the higher steps otherwise you basically have to have tools on it to just see if it's running. Keeps the house where i want it temp wise and the only problems I've have were ultimately related to incoming power issues from the pole.

smittyii is correct in the major problem is the lack of knowledge for techs working on them. That is going to have to change soon as Carrier is releasing a variable speed unit, and Nordyne will be upgrading some of their software in their controller to keep up.

As for the technology being too new it's not. Like smitty said trane had a version back in the late 80's and the ductless mini-splits have been using the technology for quite awhile. Again the biggest problem is lack of knowledgeable techs with the technology, not the technology itself.

Smile

I have spent all summer trying to find a contractor,getting bids,doing research and decided on a contractor I trusted to do a good install using the Rheem brand 2.5 ton ac and now I found this Fridigare IQ drive system that sounds really great dont know if I should give it a shot or stay with the Rheem brand that has a good track record?What would you pro's do.btw you folks are great and thanks for all the advice.
    You Guys Are the Best thanks for all your Help

nordyne comes with a 10 year warranty. So if it is installed and setup correctly you'll be very happy. Nordyne dealers are having classes 3-4 times a year for contractors employees to learn how to do this, service and diagnostics are also taught.

I have Installed 4 of these units All in Family members homes including mine. Have not had a issue with any one of them. I installed the first one in my own home to test it out after going through Nordyne's instructional classes.

I personally like them not sure if they are for everyone.

As with any equipment the quality install is the most deciding factor of a great system.

Farleyb where are you located? I have installed one of these and it is incredible... But I would not install one again unless requested to do so. The build quality is not that or a Trane or Rheem/Ruud and there are a few nuances plus tech support from Nordyne is terrible.

Look at a Mitsubishi PUMY and PVFY combination if you want an inverter whole house system.

I live in Tampa,Florida so the IQ drive would get a work out 9 months of the year

if you arent 100% confident in your installers...DONT get iq drive system

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    worked on one a while back i think they are junk poor design. there controls constantly cause nuisance calls. homewowners may like them, but i would never put one in my house. and i believe its a nordyne right. just a note if your gonna work on those get the book you will need it
    again, find this to be an installer issue. if you do a hack job, you get a hack system

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    nordyne comes with a 10 year warranty. So if it is installed and setup correctly you'll be very happy. Nordyne dealers are having classes 3-4 times a year for contractors employees to learn how to do this, service and diagnostics are also taught.
    12 year p/l on the maytag line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast