HELP -- Need new Condenser

HELP -- Need new Condenser

Initial house was 2000 square feet and have one 5 ton Trane. House was extended to 5500 square feet and 4 condensers were added. The Trane condenser no longer works and must replace it. I have a couple of questions since this 5 ton Trane only cools about 1300 square feet now, can I get a smaller consdenser? Companies have said that I could only go as low as 4 tons if I am not also replacing the air handler...

I live on Long Island.

One company would want to replace the condenser with a new 4 ton trane, the second company wants to replace it with a 4 ton American Standard (for about $1000 less) and the third company would replace it with a 4 ton Maratherm for a little less than the second company.

Which do you think is the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg8142 View Post
    Initial house was 2000 square feet and have one 5 ton Trane. House was extended to 5500 square feet and 4 condensers were added. The Trane condenser no longer works and must replace it. I have a couple of questions since this 5 ton Trane only cools about 1300 square feet now, can I get a smaller consdenser? Companies have said that I could only go as low as 4 tons if I am not also replacing the air handler...

I live on Long Island.

One company would want to replace the condenser with a new 4 ton trane, the second company wants to replace it with a 4 ton American Standard (for about $1000 less) and the third company would replace it with a 4 ton Maratherm for a little less than the second company.

1300 sq. feet? 4-5 ton unit? i'd do a load calc on remaining sq. ft. then you'll know how OVER SIZED your set up will be!

Thanks for your response. All three companies said I would have to replace the air handler if I went lower than 4 ton???

Replace the AH and install the right sized unit.
    Plan on relpacing the grilles also. Opposed Blade Dampers to effectively make the grille openings smaller so the air will have enough velocity to cover the room.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

I'd rip out everything & install the proper sized system(s) based on a Man J load calc. I'm betting you are grossly oversized!
    5 systems? Really?
    Your electric bill must be nuts.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I'd rip out everything & install the proper sized system(s) based on a Man J load calc. I'm betting you are grossly oversized!
    5 systems? Really?
    Your electric bill must be nuts.
    he lives on long island ny, cheapest electric rates in the country!

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    he lives on long island ny, cheapest electric rates in the country!
    Sure.
    For right sizing EPA info: http://www.michiganheat.com/epa-facts/016.pdf
    Mark Twain

Thank you. We just moved in so I guess I'll find out soon! I was anticpating huge electric bills so I tried to get solar panels, but my roof was rejected because among other reasons, my roof was too steep.....

Back to my original question Amercian Standard or Maratherm?? Do you need any other information? Is the Trane brand significantly better???

Also, how do you determine the tonnage of a condenser? After reading that link about right-sized air conditioners, I am now concerned that other condensers may be too big.

I have one just for the finished part of the attic (about 450 sqft), I have another for the Master Bedroom and Master Bath, another for the rest of the upstairs and then 2 for the downstairs (one of which is the broken Trane).

The AC in the Master Bedroom tends to frequently start and stop...

Thanks!

... I am now concerned that other condensers may be too big.

I have one just for the finished part of the attic (about 450 sqft), I have another for the Master Bedroom and Master Bath, another for the rest of the upstairs and then 2 for the downstairs (one of which is the broken Trane).

The AC in the Master Bedroom tends to frequently start and stop...
    5 units on this house? This needs to become 2 at the most. Are some of them room air conditioners? 2 furnaces. Too complex to deal with over the internet because we cannot see enough detail. Look into a Mini Split solution for both areas.
    Brands: LG Mitsubishi Fujitsu Sanyo Carrier Goodman and others.
    Mark Twain

Thanks. There are no room ACs, 5 condensers lined up on the side of my house (2 ton for the attic, 2.5 ton for master bedroom and master bath; 3 ton for the rest of the upstairs; 4 ton for half of the downstairs and then the broken Trane for the rest of the downstairs.

I'll ask about the mini split. Thanks!