Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 31
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,122
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I have a pigtail w/ alligator clips I can connect to disconnect & get power.
    You beat me to it, I don't need any stinking 120 outlet.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by freonr22 View Post
    well what is the temp split?
    hey a little suggestion, when a customer tells you a system is RUNNING PERFECTLY,AND IS COOLING PERFECTLY, SMILE AND GO HOME, JUST MY OPINION!

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    the unit is working, did you say, PERFECTLY? let sleeping dogs lie! only on this board, can a customer come on this board, tell people, the unit is running perfectly, and you'll actually have people , tell you that, you have a problem, again your unit is running pefectly, leave it alone, and enjoy, sleep well my friend! sleep well, you'll be fine,sleep well enjoy, your system that is working perfectly, because after these people get through with you you won't sleep well for a month! again enjoy your system which is running perfectly!
    LOLLL

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,033

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    the unit is working, did you say, PERFECTLY? let sleeping dogs lie! only on this board, can a customer come on this board, tell people, the unit is running perfectly, and you'll actually have people , tell you that, you have a problem, again your unit is running pefectly, leave it alone, and enjoy, sleep well my friend! sleep well, you'll be fine,sleep well enjoy, your system that is working perfectly, because after these people get through with you you won't sleep well for a month! again enjoy your system which is running perfectly!
    To many so-called Techs & most USERS, a system can be cooling sufficiently & appear to be working perfectly okay, however, there can be numerous conditions that are not close to being within mfg'ers specifications that will lead to premature failure of the major components of the system, especially the heart of the system, the compressor.

    Therefore, the HO is right to ask questions regarding if the system is functioning in all major aspects, within those mfg'ers specified parameters to help prevent premature failures.

    There are reasons for a lot of the premature compressor failures that could & should have been discovered & corrected...

    You'll sleep much better when a real Pro-Tech checks all the parameters & makes sure they are within specifications...

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    To many so-called Techs & most USERS, a system can be cooling sufficiently & appear to be working perfectly okay, however, there can be numerous conditions that are not close to being within mfg'ers specifications that will lead to premature failure of the major components of the system, especially the heart of the system, the compressor.

    Therefore, the HO is right to ask questions regarding if the system is functioning in all major aspects, within those mfg'ers specified parameters to help prevent premature failures.

    There are reasons for a lot of the premature compressor failures that could & should have been discovered & corrected...

    You'll sleep much better when a real Pro-Tech checks all the parameters & makes sure they are within specifications...
    10 years ago i had a friend who had a house with a 3 ton a/c system, always complained about not cooling enough on the upper 90's days. i go over there and tell him we'll bump it up to a 4 ton sytem, and change out is 40 yo oil furnace with a armstrong furnace coupled with the 4 ton lux-air matched cond. and coil. i told him a 3 1/2 ton would do the trick, but insisted on the 4 ton, i put it in,started and charged it. any way 2 weeks later i stop by for something and notice his registars where kicking! i said i'll go down stairs and change speeds on the motor, both him and his wife said nooooo,noooooo!
    they loved it! they lived in that house 18 yrs with crummy air flow, now there getting air flow,house brings down the temp. on those hot days great.
    bottom line the unit is kicking 10 years later, still on high speed cooling, no break down at all. point is some people believe it or not, like to feel the air, some people don't every one is differant, but if the customer is happy, i say no problem. as far as premature failures, i tell people change filter on a regular basis, check the unit once per year, keep the debris away from the unit and let it breath,if they mow the lawn turn off the unit, in the winter put a top on the cond. to keep the crap out, but lets the unit breath.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,033

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    10 years ago i had a friend who had a house with a 3 ton a/c system, always complained about not cooling enough on the upper 90's days. i go over there and tell him we'll bump it up to a 4 ton sytem, and change out is 40 yo oil furnace with a armstrong furnace coupled with the 4 ton lux-air matched cond. and coil. i told him a 3 1/2 ton would do the trick, but insisted on the 4 ton, i put it in,started and charged it. any way 2 weeks later i stop by for something and notice his registars where kicking! i said i'll go down stairs and change speeds on the motor, both him and his wife said nooooo,noooooo!
    they loved it! they lived in that house 18 yrs with crummy air flow, now there getting air flow,house brings down the temp. on those hot days great.
    bottom line the unit is kicking 10 years later, still on high speed cooling, no break down at all. point is some people believe it or not, like to feel the air, some people don't every one is differant, but if the customer is happy, i say no problem. as far as premature failures, i tell people change filter on a regular basis, check the unit once per year, keep the debris away from the unit and let it breath,if they mow the lawn turn off the unit, in the winter put a top on the cond. to keep the crap out, but lets the unit breath.
    I'm going to temper my response, because most problems we've had post 1990's was low airflow & way oversized heating & A/C systems.

    With Oil Furnaces most set the evaporator directly on top of the furnace, on most with the huge ht-ex near the top of the furnace there will be a lot of unnecessary back pressure robbing both static pressure & velocity from air going into the duct system.

    Nearly all evaporators had cap-tube or fixed orifice metering devices that feed faster when hotter outdoor temps increase liquid-line pressures. With low airflow that can easily cause liquid slugging of the compressor; piston compressors will have valves blown out.

    My experience has been that few Techs use effective means to check actual airflow therefore, we have some unnecessary problems that many will falsely diagnose as needing more tonnage.

    The First order of system diagnostic checking starts with the airflow & duct system, including the proper sizing of the RA filtering area.

    In the cold north, it is important to size cooling so the system has an A-Coil sized to handle the heating airflow requirements.
    In some extreme situations a 1.5-Ton A/C could be used but it needs a 3-Ton evaporator coil to flow 1200 to 1350-CFM of airflow for heating.
    Since, in the far north, cooling is a short season; find the combinations that will work best for heating...

    If those system areas are not made right first, nothing else will be truly right through the rest of the sequences...

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568
    ohh udarrel, i know where your coming from unfortunately you're out of touch with the real world! you know the REAL WORLD! example, did a house while back. house had a level added. put a hyro unit oh second floor new construction, easy fast install! on first floor they bumped out the back, ie extended sq. ft. of foot print. i had to add runs PITA,along with time consuming, along with adding a return, hard duct! again time labor intensive. gave bill to builder, he said the homeowner stated he saw all the stuff in attic ie a/h,duct,supplies,return,piping,etc. looks in basement, what did i do down there? point, h/o don't under stand the value as well as the time/material involved. again i feel starting with new const. having load calcs whatever is the way to go. but a lot of h/o don't see the value in modifying duct, if it gets costly. my attitude is once a system is put in trying to straighten out a duct system, can become costly$ to the point the h/o doesn't want or can't spend the $.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE OHIO
    Posts
    778
    you say you watched him set superheat, IMO all should be well then.
    Don't expect the rains to wash away what the floods could bring back

    unknown

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    hey a little suggestion, when a customer tells you a system is RUNNING PERFECTLY,AND IS COOLING PERFECTLY, SMILE AND GO HOME, JUST MY OPINION!
    And you know what they say about opinions.............


    If the system is "working perfectly, why did the OP come here? HE HAS DOUBTS! If it ain't broke, don't fix it is right up there with the all time most uninformed, dumb statements I hear. Right up there with,"Hey fellas, watch this!"
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

    DEM


  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    And you know what they say about opinions.............


    If the system is "working perfectly, why did the OP come here? HE HAS DOUBTS! If it ain't broke, don't fix it is right up there with the all time most uninformed, dumb statements I hear. Right up there with,"Hey fellas, watch this!"
    i don't know much about opinions, but in my neck of the woods if a customer says i like the install,cools perfectly,is happy, i shake his hand, tell them to have a great day, and leave! i don't go around looking under rocks to see if i can find something wrong! thats just my opinion!

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,033

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    i don't know much about opinions, but in my neck of the woods if a customer says i like the install,cools perfectly,is happy, i shake his hand, tell them to have a great day, and leave! i don't go around looking under rocks to see if i can find something wrong! thats just my opinion!
    No offense...
    There are a few checks that should always be performed on a new service call or new equipment install, no matter what the customer may think or say.

    A system can be cooling great but with NO superheat & soon the compressor will be damaged in perhaps several ways due to liquid slugging, including its oil blown into the piping, plus mechanical damages...

    The HO or user is not a technician therefore, it is out responsibility to see that their investment is protected; anything less in my book is more than borderline negligence...

    How many Home Owner's know the proper sequence procedures that results in a proper split-system equipment install; 0.0001%.?

    Therefore, they can't ask for what they know nothing about; they just trust the installer, who may not know or perform a proper (R-410A) equipment install...

    On installs & service work, I have to know I did it everything possible "RIGHT" or, I wouldn't sleep at night, or feel right.

    That's just my make-up; some don' t know, some don't care... of course, that usually makes more service work for everyone...

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    No offense...
    There are a few checks that should always be performed on a new service call or new equipment install, no matter what the customer may think or say.

    A system can be cooling great but with NO superheat & soon the compressor will be damaged in perhaps several ways due to liquid slugging, including its oil blown into the piping, plus mechanical damages...

    The HO or user is not a technician therefore, it is out responsibility to see that their investment is protected; anything less in my book is more than borderline negligence...

    How many Home Owner's know the proper sequence procedures that results in a proper split-system equipment install; 0.0001%.?

    Therefore, they can't ask for what they know nothing about; they just trust the installer, who may not know or perform a proper (R-410A) equipment install...

    On installs & service work, I have to know I did it everything possible "RIGHT" or, I wouldn't sleep at night, or feel right.

    That's just my make-up; some don' t know, some don't care... of course, that usually makes more service work for everyone...
    the super heat was checked and on the money, the only question was air flow! every thing else about the install seemed to be done correctly. the other thing is on these boards, most people aren't at the h/o's, home, no pics, whatever, so when a home owner is saying it's cooling perfectly,and is happy, hey, from the computer gallery, sounds good, as compared to people who have leaks from day one, doesn;t cool,noisey,blowing out caos left and right, etc. again what ever, this is a funny board! again i know where your coming from, but the homeowner is telling you it's running perfect,to me, that says it all. oof course if you willing to drive around the usa in a chevrolet, and ppersonally ck. it out, i'll just refer to a h/o who says the unit is running perfectly!

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Posts
    623
    A lot of questions could be answered if we knew what the delta t is. If the superheat is right, we can tell a lot about the air flow with that .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event