Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused Is my new condenser going to self destruct? Opinions needed

Just had a guy install a new 1.5 Ton Goodman R410 scroll condenser and A-coil in my duplex. A-coil has orifice (no TXV). I watched the guy install it and he did a fantasic job. Pulled a vacuum, checked for leaks, then set the superheat. When he was all done he said "Ok, your new 2.5 ton AC unit is working perfectly". When I told him it was a 1.5 ton unit, he got the deer in the headlights look for a few moments and then said "no big deal. It'll be just fine". I checked the furnace and it is set up for 1000 CFM air flow. A week later another guy showed up and installed another similar system in the other half of the duplex. When I asked him if he would fix the other system that was set up wrong earlier, he also said that it would be OK. Is the first system going to last or just work itself to death trying to cool 1000 CFM of air? If I just set the furnace fan speed to 600 CFM will this screw up the superheat?

Quote Originally Posted by mxzguy View Post
    Just had a guy install a new 1.5 Ton Goodman R410 scroll condenser and A-coil in my duplex. A-coil has orifice (no TXV). I watched the guy install it and he did a fantasic job. Pulled a vacuum, checked for leaks, then set the superheat. When he was all done he said "Ok, your new 2.5 ton AC unit is working perfectly". When I told him it was a 1.5 ton unit, he got the deer in the headlights look for a few moments and then said "no big deal. It'll be just fine". I checked the furnace and it is set up for 1000 CFM air flow. A week later another guy showed up and installed another similar system in the other half of the duplex. When I asked him if he would fix the other system that was set up wrong earlier, he also said that it would be OK. Is the first system going to last or just work itself to death trying to cool 1000 CFM of air? If I just set the furnace fan speed to 600 CFM will this screw up the superheat?
    i'd talk to the hvac tech?

"Ok, your new 2.5 ton AC unit is working perfectly".
    lol, who says that? realy?!
    Tell us the model #

Both of the guys that did the installs were from the company that sold the systems.

GSX130181A 1.5 ton condensing unit
    GMV950453BX 44K BTU variable speed furnace
    CAPF1824B6 Evaporator coil

Gotta say that at 1000 CFM, the system really kicks out the cool air! I forgot to mention this. I have no outside power outlets at this place. I have no idea how the 2nd guy could have pulled a vacuum without 110V AC. He must have a nice pedal powered vacuum pump.

Well, guess you'll be calling the company back. Do you rent this duplex? Might just want to inform the landlord let him deal with it.

And the tech prob. just tapped into the disconnect to power his pump.

Confused

Both of the guys that did the installs were from the company that sold the systems.

Gotta say that at 1000 CFM, the system really kicks out the cool air! I forgot to mention this. I have no outside power outlets at this place. I have no idea how the 2nd guy could have pulled a vacuum without 110V AC. He must have a nice pedal powered vacuum pump.
    here's the 10,000$ question, how does the unit work? is it cooling your house down to your satisfaction?

The system cools perfectly. I'm trying to avoid problems in the future.

With moderate humidity, 700-cfm can work okay; 1000-cfm with a 1.5-Ton condenser is going way too far.
    Edit: Just because it's set for 1000-cfm doesn't mean it's even getting 800-cfm, or less...

With low humidity 800-cfm could work with a 1.5-Ton condenser using a TXV metering device.

In that climate, I'd definitely want a TXV for a lot of the milder weather with relatively higher humidity conditions.
    Last edited by udarrell; 08-10-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Used quote...

And here is the next $10,000 dollar question: Has anyone calculated the actual air flow? Just because the fan speed is set to a certain "factory recommended" setting does not mean that the ducts are transporting that amount of air.
    Just my
    Every problem gives us the opportunity to choose from several solutions: stupidity, ignorance, indifference, or brilliance. Which one will you choose?

I have no outside power outlets at this place. I have no idea how the 2nd guy could have pulled a vacuum without 110V AC. He must have a nice pedal powered vacuum pump.
    I have a pigtail w/ alligator clips I can connect to disconnect & get power.

He could get a txv installed and also a thermostat that has humidity control. So it runs on low speed most of the time. A quick search on the coil , it says it is for 1.5 or 2 tons. Just have the fan speed adjusted on the unit to match with the tonnage.

Smile

the unit is working, did you say, PERFECTLY? let sleeping dogs lie! only on this board, can a customer come on this board, tell people, the unit is running perfectly, and you'll actually have people , tell you that, you have a problem, again your unit is running pefectly, leave it alone, and enjoy, sleep well my friend! sleep well, you'll be fine,sleep well enjoy, your system that is working perfectly, because after these people get through with you you won't sleep well for a month! again enjoy your system which is running perfectly!

well what is the temp split?
    Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast